Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my 67 w/ 351w to EFI. I've done some research and I'm hoping to get some feedback on what people think of these components and if they would suggest anything different, if there are any components that I am missing or should add, or have any advice in general. Thanks - David

• Holley Sniper EFI
  • Aeromotive Gen 2 Stealth Tank
  • Earls UltraPro Series fuel line hose

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
David,

I have the Holley Dominator EFI with supply and return lines using Aeroquip socketless hose. It was fairly easy to install, but they recommend that you replace it every 5 years or so.

Instead of replacing it with new hose, I ordered nickel/copper hard lines and fittings from DiscountHydraulicHose.com. I was able to replace both the return lines with nickel/copper and all the fittings for less then replacing with new Aeroquip hose.

At the end of the day, the nickel/copper lines will outlast the car and IMO look better than hose as long as the installation is clean.

Just my .02.

-Shannon

·
Registered
618 Posts
David,

I have the Holley Dominator EFI with supply and return lines using Aeroquip socketless hose. It was fairly easy to install, but they recommend that you replace it every 5 years or so.

Instead of replacing it with new hose, I ordered nickel/copper hard lines and fittings from DiscountHydraulicHose.com. I was able to replace both the return lines with nickel/copper and all the fittings for less then replacing with new Aeroquip hose.

At the end of the day, the nickel/copper lines will outlast the car and IMO look better than hose as long as the installation is clean.

Just my .02.

-Shannon
I agree 100%. Any hose that requires replacement every 5 years is likely not teflon lined, so like you suggest, just do the nickel/copper lines and don't worry about it again. I used the NiCu for the brake lines on my Factory Five Cobra. Easy to cut, bend, and flare. They seal up easily too, so none of the issues some have with SS fittings leaking. On my restomod, it will be NiCu for both brake and fuel lines with some short flex lines where needed.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Just hard-learned tip about hose and tube fittings. You can use JIC hydraulic fittings in place of AN fittings. AN fittings are usually prettier, but are also 50 to 200% more expensive than JIC style fittings.

Also.. JIC fittings are easier to find in steel rather than aluminum (I personally like steel fuel line fittings on a street car). I bought every fitting from the gas tank to the engine for $60.00 using JIC fittings from DiscountHydraulicHose.com. Unless you need to fly an airplane, JIC fittings are just fine.

-Shannon

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I’d double check to make sure you can run a dual plane intake manifold before buying. I’ve heard that the Holley sniper doesn’t like a dual plane intake manifold, or have they fixed that issue? It definitely makes a difference when deciding on which intake manifold to run. That’s about the only issue I’ve heard with the Holley sniper. The rest of the reviews on them have been great.

·
Registered
867 Posts
or just go with FiTech- they have a rebate right now too. Holley Dominator is overkill for most IMO.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I’ve heard similar things about the FiTech efi units in that they can have issues on a dual plane intake but I heard a rumor that the fix for both those and the Holley sniper is to notch the plenum on the intake or that you can use a carb spacer. That and FiTech’s customer service I’ve heard can at times be very lousy. I’d go with a company like Holley that has been in business for over 100 years as opposed to a business that people have only started hearing about within the past 10 years. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've got a Sniper, spectra tank (I wanted a 22 gallon one) with the 255 pump in it. I used classic tubes pre bent 3/8 line as the feed and the stock 5/16 as the return. I got fancy and used black braided line from the frame rail to the sniper in AN. Push lock would have worked nicely too. The steel hardline from tank to frame rail leaves me worry free for a long time. Plus it all looks factory. I've even hidden it all under a stock gold air cleaner assembly.

The sniper came with a bad coolant temp sensor.It was 35deg off. But other than that it's worked pretty well. I'd certainly recommend it. Even with my 420hp 331, it's more than sufficient. The dominator is in my opinion overkill. I've got an edelbrock performer RPM on mine and while it performs decently, the idle is in my nit picky opinion, not perfect. It also whistles under WOT. Both VERY common issues to dual planes and snipers. I tried a 1/2in phenolic spacer with no luck. I'd rather not cut/notch a brand new manifold so I've got a torker II ordered and I'll sell of the performer to someone using a carb. The Torker II is actually a bit lower flange height than the RPM.. which I'm also stoked for.

I'm also super picky. For most, you'd probably never notice the idle. Especially coming from an old carb.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also take a look as the MSD Atomic EFI unit. If you have a MSD distributor and 6AL unit, it will interface and control the timing automatically. This is the setup I am leaning toward.

Didn't I read someplace that one of these units, Holly, FiTech, MSD said not to use hard lines, but to use the rubber lines? Can't remember right now.

Gary

·
Registered
787 Posts
I don't think any of them said to use rubber lines.. I know one of them you can buy the 'kit' with rubber lines.. but that it's not a permanent solution.

The MSD unit requires you to mount a control unit somewhere, the fitech and Sniper don't. Its also kind of outdated. Similarly priced though and interfaces easily with MSD dizzy and spark boxes. If you're into that sort of thing. ( I just checked and Holley makes one for the sniper too)

·
6,855 Posts
I did this swap back in the day when stealing an A9L from a fox mustang and getting it chipped was "state of the art".

On my setup, with a 4R70W, the Dominator would have an additional advantage in that it can directly control a 4R70W. Without that you have to get a standalone TCS...which is $600 to $800 once you buy the harness and is a second box to install.

I actually have the predecessor to these, one of the now archaic Baumann Engineering TCS boxes. Good news is it did allow for wiring in conjunction with an A9L to share the TPS and pass information back and forth between the TCS and the ECU as required.

I'd likely be in the holley camp if I was starting from scratch...even though I agree 2 grand seems about double what it should be.

Phil

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got a Sniper, spectra tank (I wanted a 22 gallon one) with the 255 pump in it. I used classic tubes pre bent 3/8 line as the feed and the stock 5/16 as the return. I got fancy and used black braided line from the frame rail to the sniper in AN. Push lock would have worked nicely too. The steel hardline from tank to frame rail leaves me worry free for a long time. Plus it all looks factory. I've even hidden it all under a stock gold air cleaner assembly.

The sniper came with a bad coolant temp sensor.It was 35deg off. But other than that it's worked pretty well. I'd certainly recommend it. Even with my 420hp 331, it's more than sufficient. The dominator is in my opinion overkill. I've got an edelbrock performer RPM on mine and while it performs decently, the idle is in my nit picky opinion, not perfect. It also whistles under WOT. Both VERY common issues to dual planes and snipers. I tried a 1/2in phenolic spacer with no luck. I'd rather not cut/notch a brand new manifold so I've got a torker II ordered and I'll sell of the performer to someone using a carb. The Torker II is actually a bit lower flange height than the RPM.. which I'm also stoked for.

I'm also super picky. For most, you'd probably never notice the idle. Especially coming from an old carb.
Any pictures of the lines? I plan to run exactly what you've described and I have a hard time picturing them nesting together down the floor board.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm not sure what people are expecting out of these systems for a classic car... I keep hearing and seeing people say that the MSD Atomic is outdated and that the additional box is just too much. I've had the MSD on my car as a daily driver now since about May and am absolutely thrilled with it!

In regards to the extra box... Yup, it exists, you have to mount one extra box! OMG!!!! What shall I ever do???!!!!??? Oh, wait, you're right it added about 5 minutes to my overall install time and it's mounted 100% out of sight. Oh the humanity!

The controller doesn't have pretty pictures and isn't in color. Uhhh, it's a 1967 mustang, nothing is digital with colors and pictures. It's functional, I'm not going to complain about it at all. BTW, I mess with that controller about once a month if that.

For the first week or so I was about 90% happy with my system. It had a couple stumbles and stalls. After a week I made the changes to have it control my timing through my distributor and 6AL box (which is mounted where you can see it!!! Blasphemy!!!) This got it to about 95% happy! It still sometimes had a hard time idling...

I have a dual plane intake. I cut the center out of a 1/2" spacer, installed it... Darn thing runs as good and idles as smooth as any modern vehicle now! I also went from about 15mpg around town to 19'ish on average for a daily driver.

But yeah, you definitely don't want to consider the MSD!!! It sucks from what I've read and heard online... (The one on my car is up there with my hydro clutch and 5 speed trans! It's made it SOOOOO much more enjoyable as a daily driver!!!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed a FiTech June 2017. 351 C 4V with Performer dual plane. Chose it over MSD and the Sniper wasn't yet available. You will need fuel filtration for this change. FiTech required a 30micron. You will need a variety of clamps and bushings for the lines depending on how you chose to route them. You will need power (switched 12V and constant 12V) and may need relays. Wiring wasn't a big deal but I pulled interior panels to get power to the fuel pump. My sender was borked so I bought a new one from Classic Industries along with a Tanks, Inc tank. Runs well and lots of easy adjustability. You should verify if the Sniper fuel pump control is a fit with the Aeromotive pump. FiTecch uses PWM control and the original GPA-4 pump set-up I bought with the tank failed a few months in. Summit gave me full purchase price warranty credit! Love those guys!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for the feedback. It looks like I've got a bit to think about. From the research that I already did:<br><br>
  • I ruled out the fi-tech and narrowed in on the Sniper as it's a similar price but a newer product that appears to have better tech support (nothing against anyone having good experiences with the fi-tech).
  • The Sniper works with a dual plane manifold but some people have experienced noise issues. I read somewhere on the Holley website that this is 1-2% of people but take that for what it's worth. I've read that the carb spacer fixes this issue most of the time.
I'm going to look into:<br><br>
  • I will verify if the Sniper fuel pump control is a fit with the Aeromotive pump
  • I sent an email to Holley Techs to ask about the carb spacer
  • Nickel/copper fuel lines
I will update everyone with the information that I gather.

Also, Rowdy – I noticed you are from Chilliwack. I’m from Vancouver so it would be good to connect. I can't send you a pm because I’m a new member but shoot me one if you get a chance as I have some questions I’d like to ask you if you don't mind.

·
Registered
656 Posts
David,
I too am onboard with the Sniper. I went all in because I needed a new distributor anyways. I also bought the kit with the braided lines (sans the billet pump and pressure control). I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks (I'm doing a head swap too).

I think the previous suggestions of the Dominator may have confused that system with a Terminator. The Dominator would be complete overkill on a street car IMHO. The Terminator probably would be too, but I liked the look of the "Stealth" model and the additional flexibility to control different aspects of programming. That said, I didn't think the additional "cushion" was worth double the price. The difference in $$$ pretty much bought me the new heads.

I picked the Sniper over the FiTech because it had the additional control of for a second electric fan (I have) and accommodations for an AC idle bump in programming. The stories of customer service woes was just a nail in the coffin for them.

That said, I'm betting I'll find hiccups because I'm staying with my Performer RPM intake rather than switching to a Victor Jr (mostly due to hood clearance issues). I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Thank you everyone for the feedback. It looks like I've got a bit to think about. From the research that I already did:<br><br>
  • I ruled out the fi-tech and narrowed in on the Sniper as it's a similar price but a newer product that appears to have better tech support (nothing against anyone having good experiences with the fi-tech).
  • The Sniper works with a dual plane manifold but some people have experienced noise issues. I read somewhere on the Holley website that this is 1-2% of people but take that for what it's worth. I've read that the carb spacer fixes this issue most of the time.
I'm going to look into:<br><br>
  • I will verify if the Sniper fuel pump control is a fit with the Aeromotive pump
  • I sent an email to Holley Techs to ask about the carb spacer
  • Nickel/copper fuel lines
I will update everyone with the information that I gather.

Also, Rowdy – I noticed you are from Chilliwack. I’m from Vancouver so it would be good to connect. I can't send you a pm because I’m a new member but shoot me one if you get a chance as I have some questions I’d like to ask you if you don't mind.
Exactly. I'm sure that the few issues that you hear about are the 1-2% of people who have had an issue. I read a few articles on Holley's website last night when I was bored and most of the issues seem to be because the owner had the wrong style intake for the EFI unit or it was simply a bad choice of intakes and that he should buy something better suited to his engine needs. I'm betting there have probably been several thousand Holley Sniper units sold and maybe a few handfuls of those people have actually had issues.

It's a similar issue with my boat. I bought a 21' fiberglass fishing boat and it has a 130hp Honda 4 stroke outboard motor. I wanted to make sure the motor was in decent shape and with no issues before purchasing so I looked on Google. There were a ton of people saying that they had issues with cracked heads and this and that and that they wouldn't recommend that engine to anyone. I had the engine's compression checked, a sea trial run performed and so on. The engine ran great, I bought the boat and haven't had any issues with it. I took it in for general maintenance and upkeep. The shop I took it to said that the engine looks brand new, although it's 14 years old, and that it runs like a champ. When asked about the engine and the "lemon problem" that some of them had/have the tech said that he's been working on these engines for decades and has yet to see one fail or have a head crack. That, and the few that did happen, Honda took care of them, replaced everything and even extended their warranty. Long story short, I'd buy the Holley and even if you did have a problem with it, I'm sure they'd take care of you. FiTech on the other hand? I've heard some pretty awful things about their customer service, problems with their products and refusal to do a return or so on. Now obviously you should take what you hear on the internet with a grain of salt, that being said, if I was to pick between the two I'd sure as shoot pick the one that's been in business longer and with much more success on selling multiple items instead of a company known only within the last 10 years and for only one product. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The sniper simply has a power wire off a relay for any electric fuel pump. Add a ground and away you go. Pretty simple.

All three of the people I personally know running the Sniper have had the noise issue with a dual plane. Myself included. Its a non issue for most. Two of the three have swapped to a single plane for better idle. Again, I think it idles ok for most, but I'm SUPER picky! My Torker II is on order. I tried the 1/2in spacer and it did nothing, other than put my throttle linkage at an odd angle causing a bind.

I averaged 21mpg on my last road trip through the mountains. Not bad for a 420hp 331! It starts on the first hit of the key every time. Its smooth through the RPM's, no bogs, no hesitations. Just beautiful fuel injected goodness.

I'll post up some photos of the fuel lines when I get home from this pairing next week.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts