Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the lower/upper intake assy from 89-93 mustang will bolt up to a '67 engine? I'd like to do the efi conversion but I was trying to avoid the complete engine swap. I've been reading about efi conversions, and it seems alot of people find complete donor cars for the swap and they swap the whole engine. But then i read on mustang plus website about their EFI conversion, where it seems they did exactly what I'm talking about - adding the intake assy from an 89-93, but it does say in their write up something about water inlet being a little different and then something about rough idle due to cam differences. So I don't want to waste time going this route if it won't work or the results are poor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the intake fits your engine, but i would chance the 289 cam to a cam with 351 firing order to avoid running problems.

the thermostat housing on the intake has a different angle, you could chance that by using the 289 thermostat housing.

·
Registered
900 Posts
i wouldnt waste the time on a non roller motor for all the work.. you need the efi harness and the new 5.0 run so much better than a 289..

if you want it to look stock put a 5.0 in it with a carb..
and change all the front timing cover assy to old school

if you dont care about the look put a complete 88-93 5.0 mustang motor in with the efi harness..

or if funds arent limited -- 5.0 motor- convert to v belts and retrotek efi. then all looks old but really isnt..

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
When I was researching the 5.0 swap, I remember running across a website where the shop had put the EFI onto a stock 289 motor. They said it never did idle or run like it was supposed to. I went with a complete 5.0 motor in my '65.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think mustangs plus did some efi conversions on 289s

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im just looking for a way to use my existing 289, I had it rebuilt about 2 years ago, it is solid as heck and would seem like a waste. I had a different cam put in at the time and it runs the late model firing order (13726548). So my thoughts were, that I am ahead of the game somewhat..but I'm no expert on EFI. But I do know the "old" firing order causes problems. I was thinking if I got a lower/upper intake assy from 89-93, ECM, TFI dist, and wiring that is essentially the EFI system. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Why not look into aftermarket EFI? That's the route I'm going. Don't care for the look of the Ford EFI intake, wanting to keep an original style air cleaner type set up.
There is the Professional Products system, but is made in China. heard good and bad about them, but only controls fuel. No spark control.
FAST EFI is another. Again, only fuel control.
Another brand (Cannot remember now) that has a fuel rail with multi point injectors and uses fuel rails and holley has the Avenger system, but they are still not fully developed for the small block ford yet. It will control spark using a Fox distributor and special wiring harness to tie in spark control. All of these systems are around $2K. A bit higher than building one from Fox parts.
Found it. Mass-Flo. A bit higher priced than the others.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would whole heartedly agree with using a 5.0 - it well worth the conversion. Keep your 289 in the garage if you ever want to go the original route. The roller cam and serpentine belt system alone is worth it in itself.

If you still want the 289 route - holley just came out with a relatively new system for hobbyists to use - very 'shade tree mechanic' friendly

here it is from 09 SEMA

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I would whole heartedly agree with using a 5.0 - it well worth the conversion. Keep your 289 in the garage if you ever want to go the original route. The roller cam and serpentine belt system alone is worth it in itself.

If you still want the 289 route - holley just came out with a relatively new system for hobbyists to use - very 'shade tree mechanic' friendly

here it is from 09 SEMA

YouTube - SEMA 2009: Holley's New EFI Systems V8TV
That's the Holley system I mentioned that is not quite ready for small block fords yet. Looks like a great system, priced under $2K with the optional harness soon to be released to run the spark curve/timing advance.
I'm sold on this one and hopefully by the time I'm ready for it, they will be ready to sell it to me!

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Better video....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts