Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey what does egr help, if i remove the egr spacer and add a new 4v intake and carb would i lose and mpg?? i dont have to smog so i realy dont care unless it effects the engine in anyway. and could anyone recomend parts to convert a 2v to a 4v i was looking at the 390cfm holly for small v-8 and the stealth dual plane and good???

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
EGR exhaust gas recirculation. It was meant at part throttle to put exhaust back in the intake to cool the combustion simply by introducing something that wouldn't burn. That improved emissions. I don't think removing it is going to hurt anything. By going to a 4v you can actually improve your mileage( the primary's are smaller in a 4v). I'd just put a nice dual plane intake and a 600 vac sec carb. The carb would technically be a little big but I've seen cars run fine like this and it would support any other mods in the future.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
True, EGR reduces HC. I had a car which failed Calif. smog check due to high HC. Cleaned out the SGR valve and plate (both clogged) and the car passed - it's a '78 and it ran clean enough to pass 2001 automobile standards for HC and CO (about 30 PPM too high to pass 2001 NOx standards).

A word of caution: SB 42 exempted the '73 and earlier autos from bi-annual smog check but it didn't allow for removal of emissions equipment. So, don't throw any emissions parts away and record how the vacuum hoses, vacuum ported temperature switches and check valves are hooked up before removing them.

Regards,

Dean T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts