Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Item # 1852523672..this is a joke correct?..

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Its not a joke and it has been discussed earlier in the forum, I guess if you have a concourse car it will be worth it...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Slightly o/t, but I like the Torino. Mine is the same except without tubs. Same color even, gotta love grabber green.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
That is what I call low self esteem......when you have to go through all of these lengths to appease a "concourse" judge or a purist....

Pretty expensive points at the car shows!!! woooooo!!!!

I could care less......As long as it looks close and functions so efen what if the sticker is off center by two millimeters!!!!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
And on an additional note, the poor sucker that wins still has to track down a $300 snorkle.....adding insult to injury

heheh

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so if its just points ...why?..surely you dont get any more points for NOS, when the guy next to you has a very nice correct shaker..personally $5000 for 2 extra points dont cut it..tell us you thoughts Charles Turner what makes this a $5000 buy? im curious

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Surely at that price it would be worth the time and money for someone to create an exact reproduction of this piece right down to the minute details.

The reprouction woodgrain steering wheels seem to be doing well and they're close but not exactly the same. The potential seems greater here as the shaker may cost less to manufacture and the price could be higher. There's definitely a market out there.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
That is what I call low self esteem......

[color:red]OUCH! </font color=red>

Just because someone wants to put his/her car back to showroom condition is no reason to attack them personally. You obviously have no clue about concours competition.

I agree, the shaker sold for big bucks, why do you want to use this to degrade the guys that have concours cars????

G

·
0 Posts
This guy is obviously not restoring a concours car, but rather a Thoroughbred which requires all Ford NOS or perfect original parts. This is the ultimate restoration and it's not unheard of for one to exceed $100k to restore.

If you want to take this opportunity to stab at the concours/originality folks, go right ahead. It only shows your ignorance and selfishness to the hobby.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
OK, I'll bite off some on this one. I tend to think that concours is silly as an event, though I very much appreciate the work, time, effort and yes, money that the concours side of the hobby puts in to make their cars as good as, or better than factory new.

As CT mentions somewhere in this thread, whoever bought this shaker is most likely doing a thoroughbred restoration, the toughest in the hobby as it requires original parts. In a few years, this will be impossible to do IMHO.

Do I want to compete in concours? No. I don't have the patience or the inclination for it, nor the talent or money for it. But don't beat the folks up who put their blood sweat and tears into their concours retorations just because you saw a high priced Perkins auction item. You don't need those kinds of parts to do well in concours, a repop would do just fine for that class of car.

Also, it's been my experience that the pursuit of a concours car is the pursuit of excellence and attention to detail. I have never heard anyone going for concours wins as 'trying to please/impress judges'. I usually hammer on the concours folks like CT and Laurie outta MY feelings of low self esteem and envy of their skills and endless patience.

Just my $.02 worth.

-bob

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I admit i am ignorante re this side of Concourse, i just cannot believe you guys go out of your way to pay such large amounts of money for parts.
I not having a go at anyone just wanted your perspective on it , surely you can find a good shaker ,do the work on it to make it look NOS..and then show the car for half the price, does it have a sign on it at the show to say this shaker is NOS?..j/k..anyway thanks for your input ..Regards Carman

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
another consideration that several of you seem to be unaware of is that this piece may NOT even end up on a car. There are many guys out there exactly like Bob Perkins (the seller) that like displaying vintage high performance Ford parts in their original packaging. The piece for sale on has obviously been well taken care of, not just thrown in with a bunch of other boxes. I have personally viewed parts collections along with engine assemblies, thoroughbred style, mounted on engine stands being displayed. It is a well known fact in the "inner" circles that Bob Perkins soaked up and preserved some of the nicest high performance Ford pieces from the era. You aren't only paying for the rarity of this piece, but the fact that it has been preserved so well in its original packaging.....

randy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts