Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping late at night I ended up with Solenoids from Johns and CJ the cheapest that they both sell.
On 11-29 I was trying to remove the old one and put the new one on. The push one plugs would not fit on either of them loose loose.
I was going to cut the end off and put a spade connector on. I asked on here last night and was told use to crimp to fit.
Well I looked locally and found a better one and put it on and guess what heavier part and the connectors fit perfect.
So its true buy quality and move on .

·
Registered
542 Posts
Woah. The trouble is that it's not always true. We all know that Walmart sells items that "classy" stores sell the same item for sometimes more than double.
AND, many parts suppliers in the US get their parts from the same China stores from which we can buy directly.
After all, business is business, and "whatever people will pay" is the going dictum.

That leaves us poor consumers in quite a dilemma. It's only the practical experience, such as you have had, that gives us the best advice.

Meanwhile, my $140 4-core radiator from China is beating the pants off CJP's $325+ version -- well, at least equalling it at less than half price....

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Looking at the reviews is what I should had done.
All you need to do is search this forum. It has been posted here 100's if not 1000's of times to only buy genuine Motorcraft, Standard or Echlin solenoids. They will NOT be the cheapest one you can find.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Absolutely not a guarantee, but when I find myself in similar situations I call NPD for advice.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Looking at the reviews is what I should had done.
Unfortunately, the negative reviews aren't posted all the time. I recently left one on CJ's, and it still hasn't appeared.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Unfortunately many of the reviews are faked.
Yep, well documented that it happens. Employees coached in submitting 5 star reviews.
SOMETIMES you can tell by the way the reviews are worded -- no details about the item, but just words like "excellent item", fits perfectly, etc.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
All you need to do is search this forum. It has been posted here 100's if not 1000's of times to only buy genuine Motorcraft, Standard or Echlin solenoids. They will NOT be the cheapest one you can find.
yep, always buy the best name brand you can for anything electrical. its not a guarantee that it will be perfect, but the rate of failure is far lower than off brand parts.

Absolutely not a guarantee, but when I find myself in similar situations I call NPD for advice.
that is always a good fall back position, call the experts.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I always sell my customers Motorcraft, now made in China?, solenoids or Standard Motor Product solenoid . I don't even mention economy lines.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Unfortunately, the negative reviews aren't posted all the time. I recently left one on CJ's, and it still hasn't appeared.
Happened to me as well for a couple of 1 or 2 stars reviews. It seems CJ filters them out. One of the reasons I don't shop there anymore.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I see plenty of 1 and 2 stars on CJs. The reviews on NPD are sparse and generally not helpful other than when someone writes "It fits."

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
The lesson should be; Don't buy a basic engine, drive train or brake part from a specialty classic car supplier.
So much this. So many of the basics are still available locally from NAPA or online from Rock Auto, that it's silly to order the stuff from a Mustang supplier. They carry it as a convenience item for those wanting to do one stop shopping, and most times you pay a premium for that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts