Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Hmmm...the "knock it off" to "they're fine" ratio is 4 to 1...can anybody guess what bob voted? ;)

I'm just tired of the word "Eleanor". ::

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not exactly a Gallup organization, unbiased poll is it?

I do, however, think that as a whole, the hobbyists have had it with the phenomena and consider it tedious. The one upside it has is it's probably brought people into the hobby - some kid out there probably is wrenching on a Mustang instead of a bolting some gawd awful aluminum wing and big fart can on a car at least.

-bob

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
some kid out there probably is wrenching on a Mustang instead of a bolting some gawd awful aluminum wing and big fart can on a car at least.
Unless he`s bolting a godawful aluminum wing and big fart can on a Mustang :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
I saw a late model while on vacation in LA that had a huge 'fin' and two fart cans sticking out the back. I rolled down the window so I could take a listen and OMG it sounded sick.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
The thing that gets me the most about this "phenomenon" is that they are eating up a lot of the good 67/68 fastbacks to bastardize them into clones of movie car clones.

The cars are interesting, but since they are being "mass produced", as it were, they lose their real value in my opinion. It's not like they are real Shelby cars. The fact that Shelby is doing a continuation serialization is just a marketing ploy, much like many of the other things that Shelby has done in the past.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
When I first saw the movie I thought "Nice customized Mustang/Shelby". There were some really cool concepts incorporated into the design. I could appreciate it for what it was.

Where the whole Eleanor deal turned south to me, was when the "profiteers" (CS included) decided they could make a few bucks satisfying peoples' desires for instant gratification. I could understand making a run of customized/modernized Mustangs built to individal taste (pick your colors, engines, wheels, etc.), but I just can't see shelling out big bucks to have one "just like" somebody else's creation. By copying an existing "custom" car with no extra creativity, they just lost me.

I can appreciate the 71-73 "eleanor clone" that was posted earlier. Lots of unique, creative ideas. I don't agree with all the styling cues, but I can appreciate the workmanship it took to create it. In any other color combo, I could appreciate it as a nice custom Sportsroof, but the grey/black theme just says "overdone & gaudy" to me...

Unfortunately, I think the craze will be around for a couple more years. Mustang Depot has pictures of their 65-66 kit now... :: I just wonder how long before we see a 66 coupe 6-cyl Eleanor WITH the big aluminum wing & fart can??? ::

And, what will happen when/if the "continuation 65 R-models" come out??? ::

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Oh yeah, keep making them.

In five years the clones will be in our price range.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm sorry, I could not select any of the above...reason...
I think the idea was fine, the Clone as it where. It was not a real Shelby, and it was clear, but it had the flavor. So why now does Carroll have to get involved? Answer $! Easy way to have his name on another Idea. That car was as individual as his, albeit with a slightly similar flavor, but it is a mustang, what are you gonna do, scoop it, hood scoop it. There are enough differences to add a differnt flavor, but Carroll wants his scoop too. So I like it, let it continue as a kit, but not as a "genuine" shelby. If not, let all clones be genuine. Heck, mine had more original Shelby parts than most, as they came off of restored cars who's owner did not spend the time to fix, but replace, and I had no problem with the clone tag.

http://www.mvmustangs.org/stampede/2001/01s101.jpg

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I love the circus. Carrol Shelby is the best thing since PT Barnum. I mean no disrespect by this. PT Barnum did produce the "greatest show on earth"! Both men are magicians. It is impossible to guess why it works, it just does. So if Shelby wants to make a 2 headed lizard man, I WANT TO SEE IT!Everyone knows its not the real thing, but that does not mean its not something, history will determine what.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
If the mojority is to have the craze stop then why is the demand so high?

I for one think the car has alot of style to it. I would like to build a 67 shelby clone some day myself.

I could care less if the craze goes on. Whay does it matter if the craze goes on? If that is what people like then so be it.

I wouldn't want someone telling me what I was doing is wrong or over done. I admire all cars, no matter what the mods or stock form they cary. The ricer thing doesn't even bother me. I am sure the parents of those who grew up in the 60's thought everyone was crazy for buying the hot rods of the day.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I don't mind the Eleanor thing per say....to each there own....use styling Q's as you wish... Its the "paint it gray" and call it an Eleanor! Somewhat like the put a scoop on or paint on stripes and call it a Shelby Clone? There just seems to be something in the "Clone" translation that just doesn't seem to be getting through or understood! A gray mustang with stripes doesn't make an Eleanor.... just like a side scoop and Lemans stripes don't make a Shelby! If its Modified...refer to it as such!
STOP...with the "Clone" talk already!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You want the real Eleanor,go find you a running 73 fastback,with the flat hood,dog dish hub caps,and two flat black stripes on the hood and you will have the real thing! (oh wait I forgot!) Take a BIG hammer and beat it all to peices then you will have a real one,and it dosnt have SHELBY any where on it.You can build one real cheap! FastE ::

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
It is a topic that has been overly discussed but it gets a younger generation interested in Vintage Mustangs....

I think it should be accepted! If you're tired of hearing the word, skip the thread...

Works for me! ::

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm going to be the odd man out, and say that it should continue. It helps create new interest in the hobby, helps to keep the prices of our regular Mustang's up, because of sticker shock, people will look at the originals. everybody in the auto industry is looking at a nostagic twist these days, whether it's the T-Bird, GTO,VW Bug, or even the Mini and this is what sells cars. People want something that's not vanilla, and there's nothing wrong with CS trying to make a few extra bucks in the process. Come on he's in his 80's, he's a multi-millionaire, it's not going to change his lifestyle.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts