Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys Im looking at different wheel options for my 1968 eleanor build. I like the current american racing shelby 17" wheels that are on the car now but Im eventually going to put 18" wheels on it and I might go with a different style. Any suggestions or things youve seen aside from the usual american racing shelby wheels that might look good on this car? Im hoping for 18" wheels and 315 tires on the back, probably 255 up front. I have MTF mini tubs and a street or track 3 link rear end.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Honestly- you built an Eleanor.... it needs to have the correct wheels- which it looks like you have now. Anything else and it's not going to look 'right'. Clones or tribute cars are tough, because they're expected to have all the same parts as every other one out there. M2C anyway...

·
Dimples
3,458 Posts
Honestly- you built an Eleanor.... it needs to have the correct wheels- which it looks like you have now. Anything else and it's not going to look 'right'. Clones or tribute cars are tough, because they're expected to have all the same parts as every other one out there. M2C anyway...
Agreed. You have a movie car clone, so if you start changing it up, all you're going to hear form people is that the wheels are "wrong".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting points of view thanks for the input. Usually people say eleanors are "wrong" to begin with haha. But while i agree those wheels look "right" for this car, im not building it for originality or exact clone specifications- im just building a car that i will want to drive hard and enjoy looking at. Just curious if anyone had seen a different type of wheel on eleanors because my google search hasnt come up with much. Its hard to believe there isnt something out there from one of the many custom wheel companies that would look sweet on this car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you considered PS Vintage Wheels? They are the manufacturer of the GT-40 wheels that Eleanor wore. I would consider them the only authentic "Eleanor" wheels available. PS Vintage Wheels Home Page

Edit: Looks like PS has been out of business for some time now. I just tried calling and got a disconnected signal, then a quick search online revealed some bad news about the company. Sorry for the misinformation.

You should also check out https://vintagewheelsus.com/ if you like the GT-40 style wheel but are looking for a slightly different variant of it.

·
Dimples
3,458 Posts
Usually people say eleanors are "wrong" to begin with haha.
I am one of those people, but no reason to come out blasting someone for the car they like.

Just curious if anyone had seen a different type of wheel on eleanors because my google search hasnt come up with much.
I think you're not coming up with much because most people would agree with the points made so far. Why buy/build a clone of a famous movie car and then just slightly change it? Ecto-1 would look weird with Torq Thrusts and the Back to the Future Time Machine Delorean would look strange with Cragar SS's.

For better or worse, owning an Eleanor is like doing vehicular cosplay. If it deviates from the source material, most will think something is off.

Its hard to believe there isnt something out there from one of the many custom wheel companies that would look sweet on this car.
I'm sure there would, but see the above point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you considered PS Vintage Wheels? They are the manufacturer of the GT-40 wheels that Eleanor wore. I would consider them the only authentic "Eleanor" wheels available. PS Vintage Wheels Home Page

You should also check out https://vintagewheelsus.com/ if you like the GT-40 style wheel but are looking for a slightly different variant of it.
Thanks for those links. The second link definitely has what im looking for. Some variations of the eleanor and gt 40 wheels in 18" and deep dish looks. Thanks again

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think you should also considder the wheels from ET mags: ET Wheels by Team III Wheels

The wheels come in a good selection of different sizes too.

Regards
Bebob

·
Registered
335 Posts
How about Hallibrand kidney bean style wheels? Sort of sticks with the spirit of the Eleanor wheels.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
why 18s? 17s are already pushing the limit for what looks good on a 67-68(17s are cartoonishly big on 65-66). 17s I understand though...more tire choices....but 18s don't gain you anything. I would stick with the 17s if I were you.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Haha...overly big wheels always make me think of this episode of the old 80s TV show Amazing Stories:

Probably because I was 5 years old at the time, it has stuck in my head for my entire life.
Surprised I never seen that ,also surprised I watched the whole thing till the end . Reminds me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and/or The Mask

1 - 14 of 14 Posts