Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use a one wire 100 amp on my 66,but it has all original wiring and I dont want to burn it down.The reason for the high output alt is for ele. fans,new hal. headlights.Can the system be split to where big amps go the needed places and the little amps go everywhere else???????HHHEELLLPPP

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
No. You can only control the amount of current via fuses or relays. Don't hang anything that consumes a lot of current on your present wiring; it won't handle the extra load. You can use relays to power your halogens, powered directly via the battery (and fuse).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realise it asking alot,but just how do i do that??????

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The fans should have relays for their installation and their instructions already packaged with the product. For the halogen lights you may have to power a relay from the light switch. I would test the light switch to see if it will handle the halogen lights without the relays first. Your headlight switch has a built in circuit breaker that will go open if the current draw is too much. If you are concerned that the big alternator will overpower your existing accessories you need not worry. They will take only the amount of power they require whether it is a 100 amp or a 35 amp alternator.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
You can get the Painless Wiring relay setup and continue to use your existing alternator. That is what I have in my car.

The problem with the single-wire alternators is that they are self-exciting (woo hoo) and tend to not put out as much juice at idle. At least that has been my experience with my 140-amp unit.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that sounds good,mind telling me price and hard it is to install??? thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I got mine from Jegs:

764-30815 Headlight Conversion $75.99

Installation is a snap. The new harness plugs into one of your existing headlight connectors for activation and has a single hot lead and a single ground for power. It could not get any easier.

The hot lead goes directly to the positive post on your solenoid. The ground goes to chassis. Route the headlight connectors to your headlights and plug them in. Take one of the original headlight sockets and plug the Painless plug into it, tuck the wires away (I shortened mine, but you can just stuff it all away) and your are done.

You will no longer have any problems with halogens or old headlight switches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.