Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... I know we have a few live "wires" in the bunch so here goes...
I'm doing the poor mans Shelby/ Cal special restomod thing.
(would love the real thing... pocketbook suggests otherwise)Anyway I'm putting the special tail on my 68 convertiable. panal, lites etc. here's the question.... In adding the 65 T-bird taillights I'm now turning the candles on 6 bulbs instead of 2, and the 2 aren't all the bright to begin with... will I have to change the volt reg. or is that even the place to start? Will there be a problem at all? Next if I do up the volts , can I expect wire problems?( will they handle the extra volts) Anybody have any experiance doing this? I have lots of weakness's but eletrical ... I'm like a 20 watt bulb... not very bright! Little "light" humor......

Thanks / Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Haven't really brushed on my Ohm's Law in awhile, but I can tell you on a 67 Shelby the Cougar taillights were connected to the Mustang taillight wiring with butt splicers at the taillights. Be safe.... use relays.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Gauge of wire on my 68 shelby (6 lights) is the same as on my 68 CJ (2 lights). No problems ever as far as I know. On the Shelby the factory just cut off the sockets and added the plug for the T-Bird lights, you should be able to do the same.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
You should be fine. Most wire is rated for 600v Part of ohm's law is voltaged divided by resistance = amperage. In your case, voltage is constant, if you double the amount of bulbs, you've cut the resistance in half in a parallel circuit and have doubled the amperage. In your case, adding 2 more bulbs to the 1 bulb, the formular is 1/ ( 1/ r1 + 1/ r2 + 1/ r3 ). r1= bulb1, r2 = bulb2 and r3 = bulb3. Also I like to solder connections and use heat shrink tubing, makes a much better repair! In closing, since you've decreased the resistance in the circuit and increased the amperage, your blinker may be too fast. Switch to a heavy duty blinker meant for trailers.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575517&a=11977890&p=44194856.jpg

Hale Boppe comet shot off my roof. See you can use 100 iso at night with no flash!

G

·
0 Posts
My taillights were dim. I switched to halogens for taillights and backup lights. They are much brighter and not so hot as if they would melt the lenses. I understand there is a new generation of LED's coming out that are particularly bright for taillights/brake lights. What's cool about them is they are cool, and they are clear until the light comes on.

I also relayed my headlights and switched to halogens there. I only use 12 or 10 awg primary wire, 30 - 40 amp relays, always, always circuit breakers or fuses, with diodes to separate each circuit.

Yeah, right. And here I am saddled with this doofus award. Talk about a blow to my credibility.

Dan
You are only a doofus until the next round...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=45065947.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny.... I've wired my basement, garage, etc.... but other than hooking up a stereo or maybe foglights.... I'm just clueless on cars... I've got a wiring manual for the car and in less than 5 mins..... I'm cross eyed! I know it should be simple! and afterall I'm a "simple" guy! should come natural?

Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts