Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Electric '65 Mustang

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Tallguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's an electric Mustang I found for sale.

In case the CL ad gets taken down, see here.

Looks like it's listed here too, with more pictures.

I design EV drivetrains for a living and this looks like a well-executed build to me. Not high tech or fancy, and rather dated components, but just fine for its time. I'm too cheap to pay the asking price, but I do think it's a neat car. I always appreciate seeing something other than a Ford V8 in a Mustang. I'm interested to see what you all think: is this a cool build, or is it blasphemy?

#2 · (Edited)
Not at all, if the hobby is going to survive alternative fuel/powerplants are going to have to be implemented, likely even in my lifetime?

My biggest issue would be no Power Tour. I'd have to have a hydrogen powered car, or something more like the Volt where it can run on a small engine to charge the batteries when needed.

I wonder if the range is only like 30-50 miles or less? 1995 tech and that doesn't look to be a lot of batteries? What would be your guess on range?

#6 ·
I wonder if the range is only like 30-50 miles or less? 1995 tech and that doesn't look to be a lot of batteries? What would be your guess on range?
Probably about 24 miles if the batteries were in good condition and if you don't drain them below 20% charge:

(10 batteries) x (1.64 kWh/battery) x 0.8 x 0.55 = 7.216 kWh usable energy

(7.216 kWh) x (1000 W/kW) / (300 Wh/mi) = 24 mi

Math stolen from here.

Wouldn't be going on a any road trips, but depending on one's commute that could easily be enough, especially if charging at work is a possibility.

#4 ·
Pretty cool from a historical perspective. The problem is that electric tech doesn't age as well. If I were in the market for such a car, I couldn't get anywhere near that price if it's using a) 25 year old tech, and b) isn't running.

#10 · (Edited)
There is literally only One place that can do that car justice, and it is the guys at EV WEST in San Marcos, California....not too far from where the car is located.

That 1995 conversion is way outdated. It needs to be brought up to 2018 specs by way of a New efficient Motor, New Batteries, and a few updated modules. It will probably cost another 6K to 8K or more to bring it up to par. Only the guys at EV WEST are the place to do this kind of work. They've done upgrades from old electric cars before to bring them up to current specs...and are well known for doing it. They were featured on an Episode of "Wheeler Dealers" one season. I literally wouldn't bring that car to anyone else...and EV West WILL do it right. They are great bunch of guys.

See the first weblink with video and EV WEST at 9:14:00

Wheeler Dealers S13E16 1985 Maserati Bi Turbo HD - vidéo Dailymotion

EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

:eek:)

Tony K.

#12 ·
That 1995 conversion is way outdated.
That's exactly my first thought. For that much money, it needs
Lithium batteries and a modern motor with decent torque for fun.
I want at least 80 miles on a charge, 100 would be better.

I've waffled on my 66 vert on doing an EV West package with a
Powerglide rather than a 302 + 5-speed conversion. I know that
90% of my driving will just be around town with the top down.

But then there's the part of me that wants to do that occasional
Sunday afternoon cruise over to the state park on the lake. Which
is about 60 miles one way. Which is not a feasible round trip for a
homemade EV. Which brings me back to a V8 conversion. Not to
mention, it'd likely be hard to sell an EV conversion in my area.

But if I had lottery money to burn, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love
the idea of near-zero maintenance on a car that's only driven in
good weather.

#13 ·
I can appreciate the time, uniqueness, and technical knowledge and ability it would take to make something that unique while simultaneously saying I would have zero desire for it.

It’s impressive, but not my thing at any price point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.