Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I need a tach, so Im going to find one today. This guessing game on idle adjustment isnt working.

If I understand choke operation properly, I need the spring inside to unwind quicker, since I am in a very mild climate.

Im not driving the car if its any colder than the high 50s and thats only a handful of days, mostly the temps will be 60-100.

Do I rotate the housing clockwise to unwind the spring?

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Yes, clockwise is leaner on most choke applications.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,395 Posts
I tweak mine spring and fall. In the fall I open the throttle and look down the carb throat. Turn the choke until the plate closes all the way. Then back the other way until I just barely see the plate start to move. Often it takes a few back and forths until it's where I want it.
For the spring I do the same thing but instead of just starting to move, I set it to where the plate is actually starting to open a bit. Often I've gone back and tweaked it just a tad bit more open as actual driving experience shows it could stand less choke on hot restarts.

I won't adjust a choke without being able to see that plate is in fact moving in response to my adjusting. Ask me how I got that habit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
First, I need a tach, so Im going to find one today. This guessing game on idle adjustment isnt working.

If I understand choke operation properly, I need the spring inside to unwind quicker, since I am in a very mild climate.

Im not driving the car if its any colder than the high 50s and thats only a handful of days, mostly the temps will be 60-100.

Do I rotate the housing clockwise to unwind the spring?
I have a spare tach if you want to borrow.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I ordered one from Amazon this morning. Im going to give the 65 a rest for a few days. I brought the 67 home from storage and am going to tackle a couple projects there. Ive almost got all the parts I need to swap in the 250. Im waiting on the torque converter and camshaft to arrive. I have not sent the dampner off for a rebuild yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts