Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Who’s running only an electric fan on their ‘66 and earlier mustang? What fan are you using? How many cfm’s and what about a thermostat control? I just put an aluminum radiator in my 66 and I was using a flex fan with the old copper/brass radiator and planned on staying with the flex fan. There’s a guy selling an electric fan and shroud direct fit for my radiator locally and thought about trying it out. Thanks for your time. Pic is of the fan and shroud I’m thinking about getting
    CDA83E34-65C1-4B32-863D-83CD1B5C54B3.jpeg

·
Registered
42 Posts
  1. Who’s running only an electric fan on their ‘66 and earlier mustang? What fan are you using? How many cfm’s and what about a thermostat control? I just put an aluminum radiator in my 66 and I was using a flex fan with the old copper/brass radiator and planned on staying with the flex fan. There’s a guy selling an electric fan and shroud direct fit for my radiator locally and thought about trying it out. Thanks for your time. Pic is of the fan and shroud I’m thinking about getting View attachment 744267
I run a fan that looks just like that. I have a 5.0L, an aluminum radiator with cooling fan and thermostat control that came from Speedway.com the fan was just there cheapest generic one they had. Cools it just fine on a hot day.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a Ford Contour 2-speed fan. This thing pulls around 3500 - 4000 cfm. Got it from a wrecking yard for about $30. It‘s connected to a variable speed Flex-a-lite controller with soft start so the electrical system doesn’t get hit with an instant 40amp draw from the fan. Not really a big deal since I also have a 130A 3G alternator.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a Ford Contour 2-speed fan. This thing pulls around 3500 - 4000 cfm. Got it from a wrecking yard for about $30. It‘s connected to a variable speed Flex-a-lite controller with soft start so the electrical system doesn’t get hit with an instant 40amp draw from the fan. Not really a big deal since I also have a 130A 3G alternator.
I just read about a two speed Taurus fan yesterday, so I'm happy to see there are some other two speed options. Do you know what year Contour it can out of? What diameter is it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I run a Spal, thinnest one they make and it keeps my car cool. Clearance was an issue, had to take .25 off the water pump snout and switch to sockethead screws for the pulley.

·
6,911 Posts
I'm also using the spal like Desert66 suggests....it's a tight fit but doable.

I'm also using a programmable fan controller. It has a t-stat that kicks the fan on and off at preprogrammed points and accepts an input from my AC to take it to high if the AC gets turned on.

Phil

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just read about a two speed Taurus fan yesterday, so I'm happy to see there are some other two speed options. Do you know what year Contour it can out of? What diameter is it?
The one I got came from a 2000 Contour 4cyl. Any Contour from 99 to 2000 will work. The fan itself is about 15" or 16" diameter.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
This is a popular fan with shroud . Fits well on the 64-66 rads.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey Jamesgang , I’m a 67 owner, but just a few thoughts about electric fan installations in general that I have experienced.
1) First of all, and most importantly, if you are cooling your engine and are happy with what you have – don’t change it. but if you must!
2) I think a shroud is a good thing
3) Make sure your charging/ electrical system is up to the task (although I ran double fans, I could never keep my battery completely charged) Requiring an alternator upgrade
4) ensure that the fan used is of good quality and does not slow down or pull more amps after it has ran a while and heated up.
5) I think to be most efficient, you definitely need a good thermostat/relay controlled system that only runs the fan when it is needed and then shuts off

1 - 10 of 10 Posts