Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m caving in and finally switching from an engine driven fan to an electric fan for my 67 with a 20” champion rad. The flex-a-lite 398 syclone seems like a decent choice from what I’ve seen, but I’m open to alternative suggestions. I’m seeing a lot of conflict regarding the reliability of the common control systems for them, such as the flex-a-lite 31147. Are these systems to be trusted if installed properly? Is there a more reliable option that all of you are using which I’m just ignorant of?

Also, a bit of a side question on something I’m seeing a lot of varying answers on. What sort of load should my alternator be able to handle for this swap? I don’t have EFI or anything else that brings an additional electrical load.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Why not a 24” radiator with factory fan/clutch/shroud ? That’s sufficient to cool a big block with a/c. Simple.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I too support the 24 inch radiator, with mechanical clutch 7 blade fan. But cost is definitely a factor when doing this upgrade. If you must go to an electric fan, I suggest the Taurus fan and shroud. It should fit the radiator, but may have some interference with WP pulley...it’s tight. What motor do u have?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
If you have a parts store reman alternator it is probably putting out 65 amps peak. Not near enough for an electric fan.

On my 67 with a 289, Im going with a 20 or 24" radiator, whatever is the best deal when I buy it and a 6 blade fan and shroud.

I dont want to screw with an alternator upgrade, fan controller and trying to make a fan fit where it doesnt belong.

Many people love their electric fans and swear by them, Im ok keeping it simple.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not a 24” radiator with factory fan/clutch/shroud ? That’s sufficient to cool a big block with a/c. Simple.
It really doesn’t need a 24”, and I recently got a very good deal on a 20”. For example, when I first got the car, being as inexperienced as I was, I didn’t even realize how dumb it was to drive the car around in the summer with the 4 blade fan about 2” away from the stock rad (how it was set up when I got it). Even in the low 40C weather we get here in the summers, I had absolutely no issues at all.

I’m personally a huge fan of mechanical fans as well, as it’s one less system to rely on. My main frustrations with mech fans are just the lack of any decent shrouds available and a serious lack of safety. I’m honestly still very much on the fence about switching to electric, which is why I want to know if there’s a decently reliably setup possible. Otherwise, I’ll likely just buy a seven blade fan without a clutch, and fabricate a shroud. If anyone had shroud suggestions for a 20”, that would really help a lot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm planning to go electric at some point for the extra 15hp. That's quite a bit for just an efficiency upgrade. The reviews all of the control systems looked really bad to me.

One of my old cars has always had an electric fan with just a temperature switch that looks just like a temperature sender. It has always been reliable. You would just wire it yourself to a bosch type relay (2 if you have ac). Rock auto has one under part# 1s4391. The temperature isn't adjustable. But the quality of everything is pretty decent compared to that really bad chinese electronic stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went with electric fans on my 67 stang and 69 cougar simply because when you need the most air flow (going slow over a hot pavement waiting to get into a cruise-in) is when the mechanical is pulling the least amount of flow. If your going with mechanical a shroud is a must.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts