Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this isn't a subject that's already been beat to death, but I need to find the best electric fan for my 65.

I already have a 130A alternator, so power is not an issue.

I am using a Meziere 300 series water pump and a thick 2-core aluminum radiator ( stock 65/66 sized ).

My radiator "core" section is roughly 17" wide and 16.5" tall.

I have roughly 3 3/4" from the nose of the water pump to the radiator.

Cost is not really an issue, but I don't want to spend $1000 on a fan "module" either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I did the 24" conversion in 2011, and have a 24" dual 11" fans pulling combined 2800 CFM. The manufacturer is Maradyne

Pick the one you want and go get it at Summit or Jegs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the 24" conversion in 2011, and have a 24" dual 11" fans pulling combined 2800 CFM. The manufacturer is Maradyne

Pick the one you want and go get it at Summit or Jegs.
I appreciate the suggestion, but unless there's a way to run a 24" radiator without cutting my radiator support, I will stick with my current radiator.

·
Dimples
3,658 Posts
I don't know about "best", but I got a generic fan from O'reilly's about a dozen years ago and put a Painless controller on it. Works flawlessly, never gets too hot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about "best", but I got a generic fan from O'reilly's about a dozen years ago and put a Painless controller on it. Works flawlessly, never gets too hot.
My definition of "best" would be high CFM rates. Ideally something in the 3000+ cfm range.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I appreciate the suggestion, but unless there's a way to run a 24" radiator without cutting my radiator support, I will stick with my current radiator.
You can check the site to get a fan that matches your radiator size is what I was saying, not to do what I did.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Spal is probably the most honest with reporting cfm numbers.
Others that report higher numbers may not be what you see in the real world.
What’s most important is that the fan pulls enough air while idling on a hot summer day with the AC on.
2500 cfm should be sufficient. Unfortunately you never really know until you try.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
I have a 16" Imperial on my Champion 2 row 340. Sometimes while idling through traffic stop light to stop light or waiting in line for my next autox run I'll even turn it on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts