Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can control my electric fan via my Holley Sniper - and i'm not sure whats the best setting for it.

I'm on a 302 with a stock cam, and 4 row radiator - so overheating isn't really an issue - just wondering what temp I should be running at in my traffic filled commute (12 miles, 1 hour each way)

I currently have it come on at 195 and turn off at 185. (theres a -10 degree difference between my holley temp sensor and my dash gauge temp, so my dash gauge shows it kicking on at 205)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Does it cycle on and off? Does it run while cruising along? If yes to the first and no to the second, then I'd say you found the sweet spot. Everything probably be okay if you turned it up another 5* or so, but it probably isn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I can control my electric fan via my Holley Sniper - and i'm not sure whats the best setting for it.

I'm on a 302 with a stock cam, and 4 row radiator - so overheating isn't really an issue - just wondering what temp I should be running at in my traffic filled commute (12 miles, 1 hour each way)

I currently have it come on at 195 and turn off at 185. (theres a -10 degree difference between my holley temp sensor and my dash gauge temp, so my dash gauge shows it kicking on at 205)
What temp is your thermostat rated at? I have been playing with different cooling fan temp switches lately on my wife’s 66 and am familiar with your dilemma.

The operating temp of your engine should be driven by the thermostat. The fan is just there to help remove the excess heat. If you have a 195 thermostat (I recommend it to improve efficiency, especially for a daily driver), the thermostat will start to open at 195 and will control engine temp somewhere above that point. If the fan is set to turn on at 205 and off at 195 it may never turn off as the thermostat is going to try and keep the engine temp higher than 195.

Since you are controlling it via software (and not mechanical switches like me), set the fan off temp about 5 or 10 degrees higher than your thermostat and take it for a drive. You want the fan to cycle on and off with the vehicle stopped, but you don’t want the temperature to shoot way up either. I have been running a 220/207 switch on my wife’s 66, and it’s a touch too high (temp needle moves too far on the gauge and it bugs me). My next attempt is going to be a 205/195, which might be too low, but for $6 I’m willing to give it a try. I would love a 210/200 but have yet to find one. You are lucky to have it programmable!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts