Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another simultaneous problem as I get into the 5th week of "not gonna turn this car into a project" (!).
1966 convertible with 302.

Since I am adding AC, I decided to install a shroud and 16" electric fan.
I have a 4-core Champion radiator, stock 16" width.

With my first attempt, the fan I got was too thick (measured about 3 3/8" thick, conflicting with the shaft of the water pump with about 5/8" overlap).
So I got a thinner fan, and darn, in the trial fit in the rain last night, it JUST BARELY clears the nose of the water pump shaft by about 1/8".

1. Knowing the engine is going to vibrate even the the fore-aft direction, does anyone have any experience with this close a fit between electric fan and water pump (1/8" clearance)?
2. How much clearance would be considered safe?
3. Is it worth grinding down the shroud by 1/8" for the extra millimeters, or should I go for one of the thinnest SPAL 2" slimline fans?
4. ...or should I just shuck the shroud and make it easy, and just mount the fan directly against the radiator? Love that aluminum shroud, though.
5. ...or should I just shuck the radiator etc, and buy a 3-core/shroud/fan combination that fits without fiddlin', and sell my present 4-core rad and shroud/fan.

Attachments

·
7,065 Posts
I have had this same issue. Seems like I ground off the nose on the water pump and mounted the pulley without the lock washers (used red loctite on the bolts) to get a bit more clearance.

Technically, that nub on the water pump is called "The $hit". You don't want the $hit to hit the fan.

PHil

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had the same issue and ended up trimming the radiator support as shown on the Mustang Steve website. I had to fabricate new radiator supports. Gave me enough clearance that I no longer worry about it.

Reactions: baloo

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I had 3/16" inch of clearance between my water pump and old electric fan. I never had a problem with the two making contact.

Reactions: baloo

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same issue and ended up trimming the radiator support as shown on the Mustang Steve website. I had to fabricate new radiator supports. Gave me enough clearance that I no longer worry about it.

Mike,
Not sure if I fully understood what you did. Did you install a 20" radiator, or you enlarged the hole and installed a STANDARD SIZE RAD (16"?). If the latter, that would enable you to move the rad forward to give more clearance from the water pump.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had this same issue. Seems like I ground off the nose on the water pump and mounted the pulley without the lock washers (used red loctite on the bolts) to get a bit more clearance.

Technically, that nub on the water pump is called "The $hit". You don't want the $hit to hit the fan.

PHil
Ha! I don't want ANYTHING to hit the fan.
Yah, I was considering grinding off the water pump hub. Sure will use some bolts with no lock washers. Thanks

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hate to say it but the only way to increase your clearance is to move the motor back with adjustable mounts or move your rad forward by trimming the rad support. You can go to a 23 in. rad and only trim the outer sections of the support without moving the battery tray.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll try to grind some off the water pump nose, then mount the rad/shroud/fan/condenser assembly and see what happens.
If 1/8 and 3/16" don't cause a conflict, then I won't cut the rad opening.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I had to percussion engineer the top of the radiator support, to make the radiator sit straight up and down, versus the angle built into the support, that makes the radiator parallel to the engine. This gave me the 1/8 clearance.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: I cut off the end of the water pump shaft (about 1/4", including grinder blade width); also ground down the bolt heads slightly, as well as the bolt length by about 1/4". Waiting for paint to dry, then will re-attach water pump pulley and trial fit rad/shroud/electric fan tomorrow.
20191219_164639.jpg
20191219_170144.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts