Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a flexalite fan on my 289 without a shroud and it just isn't cutting it. It is only about 90 degrees here and my engine is running real hot. In about a month it will be around 100-110(phoenix). My question is should I just purchase a shroud or should I get an electric fan? If the fan, any certain brand? Right now I am leaning toward the electric fan but I wanted to get a 2nd opinion.
Thanks,
Brian & dad
66 coupe 289

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put an aftermarket shroud on mine last summer and it makes a world of difference. I live in Ft. Worth, Texas so it gets hot here too and I havent had any cooling problems. I bought mine from Texas Mustang Parts in Waco.1.800.527.1588

1966 fastback,289,C4,Tri-Y,Pertronix,Edelbrock

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Under what conditions is it overheating? If it's when the car is idling, then an electric fan will help. If it's when you're at moderate speeds, but it runs cool on the freeway, then a shroud may help. If it's when you're on the freeway, then youre cooling system capacity is lacking.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=42994554.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
A shroud will do wonders...especially if you've already dumped that 4 blade job that looks liek it should be on a tank. A good 5 or 6 blade fan and a fitted shroud will help ALOT. If yoru still having trouble...make sure you dont' use a flex fan. Any of the stock car parts suppliers sell 5 and 6 fixed blade fans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts