Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size-brand would anyone recommend for a puller electric fan out there for a stock sized radiator in a 66 coupe?

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
The Derale 16926 looks like it was made to fit the stock mustang rad. It pulls air like crazy at has it's own shroud which increases its efficiency. I had one on my'65 before the whole supercharging thing forced me to go with a 26" rad. It fit perfectly and is a great deal at $130 (check Summit)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think for the money the SPAL 16" fan that puts out 2360 CFM is hard to beat. You really have to be careful with clearance with many of the fans. There were very few that actually fit my stock setup. After I switched to the aluminum radiator I had plenty of room. The following page has some writeup with my experience w/ an electric fan:

http://www.fastbackmustang.com/Projects/CoolingSystemUpgrade.aspx

It is a great upgrade and I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
A lot of offroader guys over at Pirate4x4.com run old ford Taurus fans. From what I've read they any pull any after market fan on the market and thats all for 25 bucks at the junk yard. Plus, they have two speeds, so if its cold out side, you don't have a roaring fan running at full bore.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The dual Spals fit my 68 radiator like a glove. Unfortunately the 66 is probably smaller.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/flicktra/spals.jpg

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That looks like exactly what I need! What's the part number?

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
With my aluminum radiator I seem to only have 3" of room for a fan. Did you use a stock rad? I used a summit universal and didn't trim the rad support so it sticks out pretty far from there.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Other than the usual increased CFM rating, there is an added bonus to running dual fans.

The clearance/interference point with a single fan is usually the back of the fan motor and the front of the water pump pulley.

With dual fans, the motors are moved to each side of the water pump. This usually results in a clearance gain as the water pump pulley can now nestle into the recessed shroud area between the dual motors.

Dave

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
scripts said:
A lot of offroader guys over at Pirate4x4.com run old ford Taurus fans. From what I've read they any pull any after market fan on the market and thats all for 25 bucks at the junk yard. Plus, they have two speeds, so if its cold out side, you don't have a roaring fan running at full bore.
Just did this mod, but have yet to start the 67 back up (tonight - hopefully!!!). The Taurus fan pulls enough CFM to suck a small child through your grill! It is quite large however, and I'm sure clearance would be an issue, as it was for me. I'm not afraid to massage the 67, so I offset the rediator to one side to make clearance for the fan motor. It helps that the Taurus fan is already offset a little. It's connected to a SPAL controller, which runs the fan at 50% only when the engine reaches 160 degrees, then ramps up the speed of the fan to 100% at 200 degress. For the money, this mod can't be beat.

·
Registered
436 Posts
DaveSanborn said:
Other than the usual increased CFM rating, there is an added bonus to running dual fans.

The clearance/interference point with a single fan is usually the back of the fan motor and the front of the water pump pulley.

With dual fans, the motors are moved to each side of the water pump. This usually results in a clearance gain as the water pump pulley can now nestle into the recessed shroud area between the dual motors.

Dave
Yeah, what he said...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/flicktra/390swap1.jpg

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Ahhh! That does look beneficial to have 2 fans..

I measured a taurus fan a couple weeks ago. Was about 5" deep if anyone wants to know.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Using a Spal 16" high performance straight blade on both the daughter's 66 289 and the son's 68 302. Also using the aluminum tube with temp sensor built in. Got all the parts from Custom Aluminum Radiator in Kingman AZ. Also using his mounting brackets.
Here's the Link

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Taurus option is great, but I don't think it will clear on a 65/66 application w/o cutting the core support to recess the radiator some. The dual fan setup is awesome for clearance, but I think it only works for 67+ or aftermarket cross flow radiators on a 65/66 due to the fact that the 65/66 radiator is not very wide.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
JohnnyK said:
I measured a taurus fan a couple weeks ago. Was about 5" deep if anyone wants to know.
+1 - Yup on that one - it "can" fit, if you are willing to make it fit... I wanted an uber-powerful electric fan, so I made it fit...

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
You have a stock fan or aluminum? My aluminum summit rad was 24.75" (Northern brand) and pretty thick, and i just mounted it up against the back of the rad support in my 67. Didn't cut it.. So not much room.. NOt sure what to do.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So, if you go with one of these high volume fans does that mean you have to upgrade the alternater to accomodate it?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
BillDavenport said:
So, if you go with one of these high volume fans does that mean you have to upgrade the alternater to accomodate it?
Yep, the start-up current on these electric fans is murderous.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Flex-a-Lite Black Magic electric fan and I absolutely LOVE IT!

The measurements are on the summit link...
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLX-180&N=700+115&autoview=sku

My only complaint is that it initially cost an arm and a leg.

I have a stock 67 2-row radiator and the fan/shroud exactly cover the radiator. The car never even thinks about over heating.

The control box is a breeze to operate and I have it hidden below the battery tray so so you cant even see it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts