1) What electric fan are you using?
2) Did you have to upgrade your alternator?
3) What settings are you using for the thermostat?
4) What size/type radiator do you have?
5) What would you do differently if you were buying a new elec. fan setup?
1) I am using 2 aftermarket pusher fans from a late 80's Ford Escort.
3) The thermostat is the same as what I used when I had the clutch fan. The temp control switch is a POS temp switch for a water heater, it works, but it isn't very accurate.
4) 4 row
5) I might be looking for a single puller setup and definately spring for a good temp control switch.
I am sure most everybody else has a kit style setup in their vehicles, so I figured I could add a little junk yard variety to the bunch.
I bought the Summit Racing brand fan a few years ago. I put it on in the spring before I tore my car apart and everything ran fine. I have a 289 bored, stock ported heads, edelbrock intake and 600 carb. 3/4 cam. with a stock rad. and one of the cheap therm. switches from autozone. I think my fan is 14" I did upgrade my alternator to a newer one that is internally regulated. I did not try the fan before the alternator so i don't know if it is NEEDED if you get a amp meter you can see how much your car pulls with everything on. It would give you an idea of if you need a new one or not.
Good luck and let us know what you decide to do and how it works.
I used the black magic fan with a 3row rad.I did get a 61amp alternator.I used the electic fan for a few years with the old alt.And it seemed to work fine.My car runs at 180 most the time.Unless it's over 90 out,then it gets to 205.I set the themostat at 170.