Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 66 has an early 90's 302 in it with an electric fuel pump mounted in under the trunk. I do not know the brand. The pump is extremely loud and vibrates under the trunk. I'm wondering if there is a mechanical replacement or a quieter electric pump I can swap it out with.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
There are numerous threads on this subject. Do a search. However, isolator pads will help.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Nowhere near enough detail in your "90's 302" statement. Is this currently carbureted or fuel injected?
That would narrow advice down a little bit.

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Check out the Aeromotive Stealth fuel tank. The tank comes with an intank EFI pump in and the fuel connections are in the stock mustang location. Pretty much ready to drop in and connect to your fuel lines with a couple of fittings.

It's not a cheap solution, but it's easier to spend the money and have a drop in solution than trying to retrofit an intank pump to your stock style fuel tank.

PS...I bought their 20 gallon version and installed a conversion fuel neck (still needed tweaking to the neck) to get some extra fuel capacity.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nowhere near enough detail in your "90's 302" statement. Is this currently carbureted or fuel injected?
That would narrow advice down a little bit.
Its a 91 5.0 motor. Carbureted.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Its a 91 5.0 motor. Carbureted.
You could go with a mechanical pump..... it would not be quick/easy/cheap though.
Walbro manufacturers quite a few electric pumps for use outside the tank. I have one on the '68 for the early Edelbrock FI setup.
It's fairly quiet..... the car idles at around 74db (inside) with the current exhaust. Hard to hear the pump, but not impossible.
As kenash mentioned, isolating the pump will quiet it down.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could go with a mechanical pump..... it would not be quick/easy/cheap though.
Walbro manufacturers quite a few electric pumps for use outside the tank. I have one on the '68 for the early Edelbrock FI setup.
It's fairly quiet..... the car idles at around 74db (inside) with the current exhaust. Hard to hear the pump, but not impossible.
As kenash mentioned, isolating the pump will quiet it down.

View attachment 793492
Thanks. I didn't realize this was a common problem. I'll try some isolator pads first and go from there. Thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
21,366 Posts
Does your timing chain cover have a boss for a mechanical fuel pump? The reason I'm asking is not that you can just bolt a pump on, you can't. What it does mean is your water pump will fit on a cover that is fully machined for a fuel pump. You would have to get a fuel pump eccentric.

Some of the late 80's covers, not sure about 90's but the boss was there but never machined.

·
Registered
37,781 Posts
An axial or rotary vane pump will be much quieter than a piston or cam-type pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts