Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about converting my 68 coupe 302 to electric fuel pump.What all do I need for the switch? Or is this a bad move?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Hi,
Bad move? Not really, as they tend to assist with reducing any vapor lock tendencies and remove clutter in the engine bay. I would recommend an inertia switch in case of an collision as they shut off power to the pump. Most all electric pumps should be mounted in the back. Mine is mounted on the bulkhead just on the forward side of the tank. (see pics)
Be mindful, you'll may need a regulator, as most carbs don't like more than 5-7 lbs. Some pumps are preset at this rating, others are much higher and need the regulator. If your running an Eddy carb, PM me as I may have some parts you can use as I went from an eddy and Holly to the DCOEs.
Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Bad move? Not really, as they tend to assist with reducing any vapor lock tendencies and remove clutter in the engine bay. I would recommend an inertia switch in case of an collision as they shut off power to the pump. Most all electric pumps should be mounted in the back. Mine is mounted on the bulkhead just on the forward side of the tank. (see pics)
Be mindful, you'll may need a regulator, as most carbs don't like more than 5-7 lbs. Some pumps are preset at this rating, others are much higher and need the regulator. If your running an Eddy carb, PM me as I may have some parts you can use as I went from an eddy and Holly to the DCOEs.
Good Luck!
I am running a 1 year old 4160 holly 600..Will I need a regulator for this or can I just run a inline electric fuel pump straight to the carb?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I am running a 1 year old 4160 holly 600..Will I need a regulator for this or can I just run a inline electric fuel pump straight to the carb?
As I mentioned, in part, most all street Hollys don't like more than 7 lbs. psi max.
It's the output specs of the pump that needs to be considered. If it's output is greater than 7, yes, you will need a regulator. Otherwise, the excessive pressure will push the float seats open and you begin flooding the engine. Most all if not all popular electric pumps will have their specs very evident.
Hope this is more clear.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I mentioned, in part, most all street Hollys don't like more than 7 lbs. psi max.
It's the output specs of the pump that needs to be considered. If it's output is greater than 7, yes, you will need a regulator. Otherwise, the excessive pressure will push the float seats open and you begin flooding the engine. Most all if not all popular electric pumps will have their specs very evident.
Hope this is more clear.
Got it.Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Absolutely right, watch the output specs, Some of the pumps you will see are for monster bigblocks. Mount it as he says as close to the tank as possible but also use rubber mounts otherwise you will live with a loud hum that can be obnoxious in the absence of an even more obnoxious exhaust system (my solution).

A pressure regulator is not a bad thing to add if you are in to it. Then you get pressure to the regulator and dial in the pressure to your carb. Just something to think about...

M

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one I am looking at is from orielys and it is a universal that runs 5-9 PSI so I should be ok. Do I want to run a filter between the tank and the fuel pump or after the pump or should I run two filters,One before and one after??

·
Registered
537 Posts
FOr a street car I would recomend a mechanical pump. The noise is going to be anoying, and the hp gain will be very minimal if any.
Also a mechanical pump is very reliable, electric pump just introduces more things to break down and more fittings that can leak.
Save the electric pumps for race cars that need the few extra gallons of output

·
Registered
571 Posts
FOr a street car I would recomend a mechanical pump. The noise is going to be anoying, and the hp gain will be very minimal if any.
Also a mechanical pump is very reliable, electric pump just introduces more things to break down and more fittings that can leak.
Save the electric pumps for race cars that need the few extra gallons of output
Agreed. I put an electric pump on one of my cars years ago, and hated it. Unless you have something that is keepin you from running a mech. pump, I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I have been reading on line and from you guys input I will be buying a mechanical replacement pump..Thanks for the in put.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts