Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang 1969 Coupe with 302 engine, Edelbrock intake, carb and Msd ignition. I have problems starting it after a week or two of standing. It needs a lot of pumping and starting to make it. How could i solve this? Efi would be overkill. How about electric fuel pump? Which one and what needs to be done? Would starting the car after long stand be better?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
If you're looking at electric fuel pump for a carb, you need to decide if you are going with in tank or external.

In tank will require you cutting a hole for the pump and also for the fuel and return lines. A lot more work and possibly money but keeps the pump cooler and dampen the noise.

External pump, you will still need to at least have a return port and use your current outlet to supply the pump. Down side is it's noisier and pump gets hotter.

Both will require a fuel regulator.

Third option is to use the fuel pump like the FiTech Command Center or the Edelbrock E-Street fuel pump where you can connect to the hose that is currently connected to your mechanical pump. With these 2 units, you will need to find room under the hood.

Unless you're going EFI, probably best to use a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
20,856 Posts
I think it could be the nature of the beast. We've gotten spoiled with EFI where you barely crank the engine and it starts. Some of the issues are today's gas that boils off quicker. The carb's fuel bowls are basically opened to the atmosphere. Use the car more often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts