Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the junkyard last week and found some electric calipers on a 08 passat. They where in good shape so I picked them up. I did a bunch of research on them and found that they would require the parking brake control module, parking switch, abs control module, stop switch, and at least one speed sensor. So that's what I got.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I had all of the components i needed to make them fit my 1965 mustang. Now for most of you you might have to figure out some of this on your own because i have a 1998 explorer rear end. First i had to figure out how to mount the bracket on the baking plate. I thought a 2000 mustang plate looked promising but the center hole is too small and the bolt pattern is wrong. So let's start fabrication. First in paper to get a starting pattern. Next in cardboard. Now the silver line represented the biggest rotor I could use.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I now have it made out of wood so I could have something to bolt the caliper brackets to. The rotor that I used was off of a 2002 Ford explorer. But the drum extended past the back of the rotor so I had to pr it on a lathe and cut off the excess. The spacing for it is perfect. I trimmed the splash shield because it interfered with the caliper bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the tolerances that I got when I finished. The pads set on the rotor just enough, the is a few mm on the bottom to the pad top the hat of the rotor, and the clearance between the rotor a and the brake caliper is 3.5mm and 3.2mm. The bolts from the Passat where a little long so I had to shorten them, a little side note a 3/8 ratchet will fit in the bolt without a socket. Here is the finished brake install. Now on to the electric install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
You trust your battery with your life? It may be unlikely that your battery will fail when you need an E-Brake....but it is FAR more likely it will fail with the car parked and the brake is in use as a parking brake...would be bad in some circumstances. No, an electric(or hydraulic) E-brake is one modification that is just plain dangerous. They are mechanical for very good reason.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Our new Expedition has an electric parking brake and I HATE it. It auto-engages on level ground most of the time, does NOT auto-engage when on a slope (DUH) that would both make sense AND would take tension off the drivetrain when shifting to and from Park. Also, what happens if there is a hydraulic brake failure and it needs to be used gradually to safely slow and stop the car? I like being able to feel the tension and KNOW when my E/park brake is working. Don't get me started on that danged auto engine-stop BS...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The electric parking brake is used for just that...parking, technically there is no emergency brake in a car. If you don't believe me go read your manual. You have a dual master cylinder with two reservoirs so if one goes our you have the other. And my current parking with the old school pull handle would not hold my car let alone stop it in an emergency. Now this is a mod page for modding our cars and I am just trying to show how I did it. If we all keep saying what we don't like we might as well keep our cars stock.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
The electric parking brake is used for just that...parking, technically there is no emergency brake in a car. If you don't believe me go read your manual. You have a dual master cylinder with two reservoirs so if one goes our you have the other. And my current parking with the old school pull handle would not hold my car let alone stop it in an emergency. Now this is a mod page for modding our cars and I am just trying to show how I did it. If we all keep saying what we don't like we might as well keep our cars stock.
Well, I said I hated the one on the Expedition. I LIKE that you're modding and improving your ride and showing others how you are doing it. My e-brake / p-brake SAVED my butt once in town when the single bowl master cylinder went out. That, with down-shifting, got me stopped safely and I limped home where I could pull it apart and put another master cylinder on. I won't be able to do that so easily in some modern vehicles. I'm researching how to reprogram the Expedition.

Electric parking brake : very cool
No emergency brake : not cool

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Wow, your dedication to modifying a 50+ year old car is admirable. Keep grinding!
I second this. I like hiding modern stuff in plain sight, too. Given the limited space in a Mustang's body, this is also cool as we age and may not have the oomph we used to for stomping p-brake pedals or twisting and pulling handles but I hope I am able to use the old-school backups a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Cooooool....
How my current parking brake works fits in an area about the size of my cell phone screen.. with pictures ! Haha! ! I'm glad you have the patience and wherewithal for it. Hey, I did do an LED head, park/turn, and tail light conversion, electronic ignition, LED instrument bulbs and I'm thinking about hiding a quiet late-model thermostatically-controlled electric cooling fan for this 105-degree weather. Do you have suggestions for the quietest / best pusher fan I can put in with an off-auto-on configuration? At one time I heard people raved about some Ford Taurus 3.8 fan or something. I've also heard of Spal etc.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I wasnt criticizing the work by any means...but to say a conventional "parking" brake wont help you stop the car in an emergency is just silly. Of course it does....that's why it's a gradual pull and not just an electrical solenoid that shoots a pin into a rotor or something. Electric brakes(and pneumatic for that matter) work either one of two ways...either the default is engaged, or disengaged. In the case of engaged, your vehicle isnt going anywhere in case of power failure(not so bad on the road unless your alternator fails at the same time...then its catastrophic) but if its parked...that means you are unable to even tow the vehicle without dragging it up onto a flatbed, killing tires. In the case of default disengaged...there is no catastrophic failure on the road unless your hydraulic brakes fail at the same time....but parked...disengaged can roll you down a hill, destroying your vehicle and possibly hurting or killing other people if you live some place with crazy hills like San Francisco.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
^^^ I can't say I've ever heard of that unless it was a manual trans somebody left out of gear and didn't set a brake. I suppose if the default was engaged and a disabled vehicle lost power, a jump box or cables from a tow rig would at least be able to remedy that temporarily. OP has their hands full with this electrical project, and as cool as modern stuff can be, this is EXACTLY why I drive an old car and an old(ish) truck. I need a break from the complexity of life and I can work on those if I need to. Good luck krynn44!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I was in college a friend of my current girl friend mentioned she had brake issues on her early 70s Impala. At the time I had privileges at a local car dealership/shop so I had her drop by. Both front sets of pads were gone. Metal to metal pad/rotor etc. Bad enough that the drivers side rotor was gone well into the cooling fins.. That caliper/piston had extended far enough to bleed out all brake fluid. She explained that she had been driving around for over a month with her left hand pulling the e-brake release handle, left foot operating the ebrake pedal and right foot gas etc.... so yes, the ebrake has more uses than just holding the car while parked. :)
I had numerous times thinking of/shaking my head with amazement and nightmares of her operating a vehicle in traffic like this for weeks!

As for your mod - awesome. And I commend you for your efforts. I have a 65 coupe build in work and have installed an IRS. Parking/emergency brakes are an option. I plan to instal them but am going back and forth between electric or utilizing the factory pull handle etc. I do like aspects of the electric brake but as others have eluded to I too like the option to use it as an ebrake / “emergency” brake “system” if needed. I have yet to look into the switching/logic behind their function but would like the ability to control the braking electrically via pulse or something short of either locked up or off etc..

Keep us apprised of how you configure yours.

Cheers

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys, I wanted to follow up on my progress. I spent 2 days pouring through the 300+ pages of wiring for the 08 Passat and I found that to use the parking brake control module I would need the abs control module, the can bus control module, and one other module to get the information from the brake pedal sensor. I also needed the abs speed sensor and two buttons. Soooooo i have been researching how to use a microcontroller and I talked with one of my associates in the robotics department. I should be able to use a aArduino to run a h-bridge and all I need is a current sensing board to shut off when amperage goes up. I can use ohm's law to figure out standard amp draw and write the software to turn off after it goes just past that. Any thoughts on how you would control them?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you just trying to avoid any off the shelf supplies? The M200:should handle it:

https://www.e-motioninc.com/ACTUATOR_CONTROLS_s/6.htm
This is a great product but it only controls one caliper at a time and you would have to hold down the button (I think). My thought is i want a control it like a auto window where you push to activate it turns on and once the current it hit, it shuts off, the same for release. Push the button and it releases on its own. No holding, no waiting. Just push and leave. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This is a great product but it only controls one caliper at a time and you would have to hold down the button (I think). My thought is i want a control it like a auto window where you push to activate it turns on and once the current it hit, it shuts off, the same for release. Push the button and it releases on its own. No holding, no waiting. Just push and leave. Any thoughts?
You would need 2, but it supports 1-touch operation.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts