Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a pair of Quick Fuel Slayer 450cfm carbs for my top end. The primary carb comes with an electric choke, so figured might as well hook it up. I normally don't run a choke here in AZ even though where I live, the temps can get below freezing in the winter time. Over the years here on VMF, I've seen many posts about "Where can I get a 12v keyed source for my electric choke?" I've seen several ideas, but the one that I have always thought about, and even have recommended, was the STATOR (or STA) post on the back of the alternator. I figured I might as well as follow my own advice, and it worked out fine, and saved me a possible breakdown somewhere on the road!

I pulled my alternator to access the back. Right away I noticed that the pulley/shaft assembly was very loose and wobbly. I haven't had any issues with my charging system, but a wobbly pulley is not a good thing. This alternator has been on my engine for many, many years and has never given me a problem. Luckily, I had my emergency breakdown alternator still in the box in my shed, so out it came for duty. I crimped a ring terminal to one end of a wire, and attached it to the STA post. I then crimped a female spade terminal and covered it all with some braided wire loom. Hooked everything up, and started the engine. The choke closed like it should, and slowly but surely opened up all the way. It works!

The instructions for the carb stated that it had to be a full 12v to ensure the choke operates properly. Based on information from here, the STA only puts out about 7-9v. I'll have to wait for the colder weather to come in to see if everything still operates like it should. I'm chasing a few other small problems right now, but both carbs are on, test drove it, and it idles quite well. (y)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts