Vintage Mustang Forums banner

301 - 313 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I used this Forum only as a place to get technical info on the Yaris EPS, I have to confess ignorance on most things Ford - I have absolutely no idea what an "8.8" is.

I suggest you look at their website or give them a call: maybe there are other sources of similar parts but this was the source I used. Hall Effect Speed Sensors

The technique I used should work for any source that produces a square wave signal pulses - you just have to calculate the number of pulses you need to get the assistance at given speeds according to your final drive ratio. The EPS expects a 5V signal as far as I can determine, so watch for this too.

I run 165/80R15 tyres with a 4.3:1 final ratio, and a four-magnet ring gave me the pulses that gave me the progression I was looking for. It's a dream to drive on the Swiss Alpine passes 30 minutes from home.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did some research, tell me what you think. I went to the local pull and pay and grabbed a yaris power steering ecu. It has abs but after reading what dominic wrote it seems that it should work either way. In this diagram you can see that the epas module has a D31-5 and communication with the ABS module should only be so that the system can get the VSS info onto the CAN bus. Also in the diagram it states that the ABS EPAS module only requires pin 6 but the non ABS requires pin 5 and 6. So if we use the sensor and a collar that Dominic put together put the sensor signal to the D35-5 and 12v to D35-6 this should work. Anyone else think this will work? My car is in pieces so I can't test it.

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
Back to Explorer 8.8, if you have one under your car then it already has a speed sensor. A Hall effect style that outputs AC if I recall correctly. Somebody else would want to verify that though. In any case the Explorers got 108 tooth tone rings in them. A long way from the 4 that Dominic came up with but given the technical skills demonstrated in this thread so far I bet someone can work out something.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So the explorer puts out 8000 pulses per mile has 8 magnets and the sensor is 12v with a 5v signal, Dominic what info do you have on the yaris side?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What flashing LED are people using for the Yaris non-abs units? I picked up complete unit out is a 2007 Yaris I’m going to be using and just curious if there are certain specs for the LED I need to order.

·
Just some guy
20,004 Posts
So the explorer puts out 8000 pulses per mile has 8 magnets and the sensor is 12v with a 5v signal, ?
Lost me there. The older Ford 8.8's that people swap into vintage Mustangs use "passive" style variable reluctance sensors, there are no magnets involved that I'm aware of. I can say I misspoke popping off and generically calling them Hall Effect sensors as they aren't the actual three wire style and are actually two wires. When one says Hall Effect you generally mean the active three wire types. I apologize for any confusion.

One reason I've not been in this thread is because electric steering is not something I know about. These threads have been great to read and learn from though.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I though I would share this here since I hadn't seen an answer on the connectors to a number of these control modules. One or two mentioned Yazaki parts but after a close look they were not the correct ones of at least not the ones for the control unit Jtekt uses on the Nissan variants. I have a 15' versa eps column the part numbers are as follows.

Large Connector
Blue (To Motor) - 7123-4129-90 Yazaki 58 Connectors L Type Housing 2P Female

Black (Power to module) - 7123-4123-30 Yazaki 58 Connectors L Type Housing 2P Female

Back plate/Holder - 7157-6421-80 Yazaki 58 Connectors L Type Others 2P Female

Terminal - 7116-3250 Yazaki 58 Connectors L Type/Y Type/L-MC Type Terminal Female

Small plug (for ignition signal and canbus)
Connector - 1379659-1 TE AMP conn plug HSG 8POS 2.20mm

Terminal - 1123343-1 TE AMP conn socket 20-24AWG Crimp

For the smaller connect the left and right side are different this should be the part to the connector on the car side harness the connector going to the torque sensor is a mirror part

301 - 313 of 313 Posts