Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been contemplating ways to add an electric windshield washer pump to my '67 while still retaining my windshield washer pedal (I think it's neat...). Anyway, I wanted to go more for a '69+ style (rather that 65-66), since Ford used the same pump body from '69 until the mid-90s; pump availability isn't an issue. So here is what I'm thinking...

I have a '69 washer pump bottle and pump to hang (more or less) in the factory location. I "splice" into my my washer pump switch and add a wire to a relay. That relay will provide power to the pump. So when I press the pump pedal, the momentary switch contacts and the pump runs, keeping the factory user input/aesthetic while offering a reliable/modern/available motorized washer pump.

Am I missing something here? I haven't been able to find anything in the forum to this effect, but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place/for the wrong thing. Any concerns? Seems like it should work.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
So I've been contemplating ways to add an electric windshield washer pump to my '67 while still retaining my windshield washer pedal (I think it's neat...). Anyway, I wanted to go more for a '69+ style (rather that 65-66), since Ford used the same pump body from '69 until the mid-90s; pump availability isn't an issue. So here is what I'm thinking...

I have a '69 washer pump bottle and pump to hang (more or less) in the factory location. I "splice" into my my washer pump switch and add a wire to a relay. That relay will provide power to the pump. So when I press the pump pedal, the momentary switch contacts and the pump runs, keeping the factory user input/aesthetic while offering a reliable/modern/available motorized washer pump.

Am I missing something here? I haven't been able to find anything in the forum to this effect, but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place/for the wrong thing. Any concerns? Seems like it should work.

Thanks!
Should work, it sounds rather straight forward. Would you even need a relay? Does the pump draw any amps to speak of?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should work, it sounds rather straight forward. Would you even need a relay? Does the pump draw any amps to speak of?
Cool. I was just surprised I didn't see any reference on here. So i figured I was out of my mind :).

Realistically, the relay probably isn't necessary, but anything I can do to extend the life of my foot pedal switch is a priority for me, since they aren't reproduced (to my knowledge). I'm already going to have a bunch of relays in the car, so one more shouldn't really add any complexity.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Keep us updated and do a write up if it works. Pics are always appreciated.
I have a 67 vert and would greatly appreciate an alternative.

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
That's pretty smart, and I like that it keeps it original in appearance. You could market a kit...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I ordered a bunch of switches for my car from this company. They are in AU, but they ship quick and the quality is fantastic. I ordered this switch as a momentary in case you find your idea works. This should be perfect to activate a wiper and electric pump.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Thanks!
I think that is brilliant. I love the thinking. I'd be shocked if someone hadn't done it before although it might not have been done before.

I think you are right in using a relay, they are cheap insurance to protect the switch and pump.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I see one downside … I use the floor pedal as a one-swipe wiper button. Is there a slight delay in the washer working to retain this "option?"

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think there would be a delay by design, but it will only run while the pedal is depressed. So I doubt it could build enough pressure to dribble a drop if you just tap it to start the wiper sequence. Even on my modern vehicles, it takes a second to start squirting.

·
Registered
12,133 Posts
I have a button mounted on the base of the 67 washer pedal.
I have a 12V source going out to the washer pump (no need for a relay, it draws around 3 amps or something if I recall). Ground wire comes back, to the button, then ground.
The original wires are still connected to the motor, so it doesn't effect anything on the 'one swipe', and contact is only made when the pedal is pushed all the way down (I think I added some adhesive foam to get it to engage where I wanted).
(I should mention the pump I'm using is just a universal generic pump, mounted on the apron)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a 12V source going out to the washer pump (no need for a relay, it draws around 3 amps or something if I recall). Ground wire comes back, to the button, then ground.
The original wires are still connected to the motor, so it doesn't effect anything on the 'one swipe', and contact is only made when the pedal is pushed all the way down (I think I added some adhesive foam to get it to engage where I wanted).
(I should mention the pump I'm using is just a universal generic pump, mounted on the apron)
Pictures and video of it in action!

·
Registered
267 Posts
yes some pics would be nice

·
Registered
12,133 Posts
Unfortunately you've got me in the middle of a complete rewire/EFI swap-out, but I just snapped what I could (Although the wiper motor itself is just mocked up for your viewing pleasure.

That -ve wire is the wire on the way back from the washer pump. (I think I grounded the other side of the switch through the other mounting screw)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I didn't actually expect you to post pictures. :)

Nice job, I think you have it covered. I assume the stock foot pump doesn't activate the wipers? So why would a electric one need to? Other than added convenience.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks great. So if I am seeing things correctly, you basically replaced the bellows with that switch.
You said you used adhesive foam, is that on the underside of the pedal to push on the switch and protect the switch from wear?

·
Registered
1968 Mustang coupe, 331 engine
21 Posts
I did the electric washer upgrade for my 68. I installed a basic pump from amazon right under the washer bottle. I removed my foot pump because one of the check valves was missing and it didnt work, I also wanted to make room because I was doing an auto to manual conversion and wanted room to work on the pedals. I dont like that washer fluid comes into the passenger compartment near the top of the firewall in two hoses and a leak can cause the whole bottle to dump into the floor. I used a custom made switch which I installed in the dash near the wiper switch. Its a lighted switch with the window washer symbol on it, light comes on with the dash lights. I dont have it wired to run the wipers (the way the footswitch worked it also caused the wipers to run) but I could add that function later, just didnt feel it necessary. Ill be happy to take photos this evening.

·
Registered
12,133 Posts
I didn't actually expect you to post pictures. :)

Nice job, I think you have it covered. I assume the stock foot pump doesn't activate the wipers? So why would a electric one need to? Other than added convenience.
Stock pedal does activate the wipers when it's depressed, so that's why I left the original wiring that you can see.

Yes, bellows were replaced, and the closed cell foam was just to adjust activation height and to not crush that switch.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts