Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been contemplating ways to add an electric windshield washer pump to my '67 while still retaining my windshield washer pedal (I think it's neat...). Anyway, I wanted to go more for a '69+ style (rather that 65-66), since Ford used the same pump body from '69 until the mid-90s; pump availability isn't an issue. So here is what I'm thinking...

I have a '69 washer pump bottle and pump to hang (more or less) in the factory location. I "splice" into my my washer pump switch and add a wire to a relay. That relay will provide power to the pump. So when I press the pump pedal, the momentary switch contacts and the pump runs, keeping the factory user input/aesthetic while offering a reliable/modern/available motorized washer pump.

Am I missing something here? I haven't been able to find anything in the forum to this effect, but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place/for the wrong thing. Any concerns? Seems like it should work.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
So I've been contemplating ways to add an electric windshield washer pump to my '67 while still retaining my windshield washer pedal (I think it's neat...). Anyway, I wanted to go more for a '69+ style (rather that 65-66), since Ford used the same pump body from '69 until the mid-90s; pump availability isn't an issue. So here is what I'm thinking...

I have a '69 washer pump bottle and pump to hang (more or less) in the factory location. I "splice" into my my washer pump switch and add a wire to a relay. That relay will provide power to the pump. So when I press the pump pedal, the momentary switch contacts and the pump runs, keeping the factory user input/aesthetic while offering a reliable/modern/available motorized washer pump.

Am I missing something here? I haven't been able to find anything in the forum to this effect, but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place/for the wrong thing. Any concerns? Seems like it should work.

Thanks!
Should work, it sounds rather straight forward. Would you even need a relay? Does the pump draw any amps to speak of?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should work, it sounds rather straight forward. Would you even need a relay? Does the pump draw any amps to speak of?
Cool. I was just surprised I didn't see any reference on here. So i figured I was out of my mind :).

Realistically, the relay probably isn't necessary, but anything I can do to extend the life of my foot pedal switch is a priority for me, since they aren't reproduced (to my knowledge). I'm already going to have a bunch of relays in the car, so one more shouldn't really add any complexity.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Keep us updated and do a write up if it works. Pics are always appreciated.
I have a 67 vert and would greatly appreciate an alternative.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
That's pretty smart, and I like that it keeps it original in appearance. You could market a kit...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts