Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for my DD 1970 convertible. 302 Automatic all stock.
A few days ago on the way home from work the temp and oil press gauges spiked to max, the fuel gauge spike to E.
I noticed it happened the next two days after driving for about 20 minutes.
Today, I turn on the key and nothing, assumed the battery ran down. Swap batteries (to a known good battery), same thing. Cleaned all cables and ends, no help. It would not jump start at the solenoid. From battery cable to small post.
Verified new battery is fully charged. Changed starter solenoid, still nothing, changed voltage regulator, nothing. Tried to jump start from posts on each side of solenoid, bingo it starts (with key on) and stays running...gauges are all maxed.
What the hell is going on?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Solenoid is junk. You can smack it a few times with the handle end of a screwdriver and see if it starts, but that’s more than likely your issue. Replace it and retry it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Check your ground connection. On my 70 the connection is from the post then a mid point connection to the engine compartment then to the block.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Check your ground connection. On my 70 the connection is from the post then a mid point connection to the engine compartment then to the block.
I second that motion. Loss of a good chassis ground will render the solenoid non-functional and make everything else dependent on a chassis ground work "wonky".

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
I guess if you don't know what it does, it's an easy conclusion to jump to.
Same with replacing the IVR when your instrument cluster lighting doesn't work. While I understand how it's easy to jump to conclusions and though I can't speak for Tex, it's surprising the number of people that start throwing parts at a problem or are looking for some magic "fix" without resorting to sensible troubleshooting, even after the process is explained. I chalk it up to "human nature".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts