Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend im goign to wire my holley red electric fuel pump. i need to wire it to the ignition so its only on when the key is in the on position. i looked at the ignition switch and there are ALOT of wires. how do i know what wire to splice into. colors arent going to help too much because the previous owner didnt believe in masking before painting the dash. i need some help on this. also im goign set up my hei distributor. do i need to run a 12volt wire from the same source as where im going to do the fuel pump? let me kno anything and everything that will help me because i really want to get this car running.

Matthew

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Welcome!

I'd recommend you spend some time researching things and add the following items to your car when you add the fuel pump.

1) Relay to provide switched 12 vdc to fuel pump when ignition is in the ON position (no need for ACC)
2) Fuse in that same circuit (on the battery side of the relay) to protect the wiring from meltdown if the fuel pump dies
3) Anti-shock sensor - this is the MOST important device for adding an electric fuel pump. If for some reason, you are in a serious accident, this device is wired in series with the hot wire to your fuel pump and will prevent it from running (if the fuel line ruptures and you don't have this, the fuel pump will continue pumping gasoline all over the ground and that could get messy and hot). IIRC, the one I purchased is from a 1995 Mustang (make sure to get the mating connector, too).

I've got the part #s for the Bosch relay, a socket, anti-shock switch that I can get to you. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
768 Posts
OK first off you need to let us know what the heck you are working on. Every body style has a different ignition switch

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I had a 76 chevy nova once upon a time, and it had an electric fuel pump. ( the only car classic car I have owned with one, I like mechanical pumps, personally) The PO wired from an empty spot in the fuse box, ( empty because the car did not have some power option the space was there for) and he also ran an extra inline fuse, to a 35 amp toggle switch under the dash, hidden from view. He used it as a theft deterrent device. Also good if something catches fire under the hood, just flip the switch and cut the fuel. Most people out there would not advise this as a good idea, but I thought it was pretty cool. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
You can tap in to the ignition switch for a 12v fuel pump source. At the back of the ignition switch is a threaded stud. It is hot in the run position and can be used for your fuel pump.The post is only hot in the run position. If you also need a hot wire for you igntion system that is hot in the start position, you can tie into the starter soln stud. the stud on the soln (not the neutral switch wire)is hot while starting.
Hope this helps, Phil

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,629 Posts
Agree with the relay and fuse suggestion. The original factory ignition switch wiring is probably not strong enough to serve as the main power supply for an electric fuel pump but it should easily handle powering a relay setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts