Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought everything was going great. Bang!! bit in the butt.
66 2dht
stock everything (love it that way)

OK. I go to local auto shop for door trim clips, come out and nothing. Veh is dead, not even the interior light comes go.

Battery checked OK
Solenoid checked OK
Stuck a test light in "S" wire at solenoid and turned key "strong light produced"
Cable to starter and connection to starter checked OK
Ground Cable to motor from frame checked OK

Did old army trick, took booster cables hooked red from battery positive to start side of solenoid and then connected black cable to battery red and then to red/green (start) side of coil, car started NO ISSUE. Got home shut down car went to re start NOTHING. No interior, no head lights, nothing.

Any suggestions are great appreciated

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,482 Posts
The most common problem I've seen with every vehicle I've ever owned, crappy battery terminal/cable connections. Probably the most common vehicle problem ever. Generally you can wiggle, loosen and retighten various connections until you find it. I have seen internal cable issues which require a bit more diagnostic work to suss out. Any cheap multimeter and a quick youtube course on "voltage drop testing" will fix you up there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GypsyR

Presently re checking on grounds and cleaning every connect in the book. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
if whole car is dead and you were able to jump it as you said tells me theres major ground fault
either bad cables or rusted connection at the block or terminals at the battery

even though a cable can check Ok with a MM if theres a resistance issue it wont hold under load.

ive seen a few rot from the inside out where it look perfectly good by eye but when i cut the insulation back it was all rotten

Reactions: GypsyR

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys

Both on the money. The cable from the neg battery post down to the block had several cracks (cover by oil film) just above where it bends to the block. Water over the 50 yrs weeped in and at the bend the wires had corroded with only a few strands being complete.

The frame ground was actual about a 6 gauge wire (totally cracked) with an eye connector clamped at each end. Not the proper woven cable at all.

It now amazes me what electrical tape and oil film can hide.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will make the joker run in Kalispell MA

Enjoy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts