Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the attempt to get my 66 f/b road worthy, I was trying to track down some odd light behaviour and I discovered that my firewall is not grounded even though I have a heavy gage wire to it. More to the point, I can get over 12 volts at the block and cable at the firewall but on the firewall itself I get no reading on the volt meter. Do I need to scrape the paint off? Never thought that standard paint was much of an insulator.

TIA

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you bolt to an existing painted hole, you may not scrape enough paint while tightening the hardware. To ensure a good connection, you should scrape off the paint and use a star washer under the nut.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight with I get home. I'm still suprized that a little paint works as a sufficent insulator.

·
Premium Member
19,225 Posts
Don't be surprised. You need metal to metal contact for good connections, which is why your bullet connectors are such a pain in the ass to get apart. Electrons prefer the easiest route, and if there is another way, they will find it! Darn little buggers, those electrons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts