Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i replaced my turn signal switch today, i just cut off the plug ins and soldered the wires together,now..my running lights work fine,both blinkers blink,now the prob.
my brake lights:
only one will work at a time depending on which way you turn the turn signal. if you turn the t/s switch down to make a left hand turn the passenger brake light work and vice/versa. what wires do i have crossed?? probably the ones in my head. thanks.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If I understand you correctly, there is no problem...

The brake and turn signals use the same filament....

When making a left turn, the right brake light works....making a right turn, the left one works.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see your point,but when sitting still ,key off , i hit the brake lights and only one will come on,depending on the position of the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
526 Posts
sharkmouth is correct. The T/S switch is designed to cancel one of the brake lights otherwise you'll never see the rear T/S blink. Try this: Turn you emergency light on and then step on the brakes. Your dash indicators should stay on and not blink. If it does then everything is OK.

·
Registered
33,615 Posts
This sounds like normal operation, IF YOUR IGNITION SWITCH IS OFF. Without juice to feed the turn signal, the brake lamp signal to that side is interrupted only. If you power the turn signals you'll probably find out everything is okay.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doesnt matter if key is on or off i cant get both my brake lights to light up at the same time ,even with the t/s switch in the middle only one lights up. everything works but both brake lights at the same time. did i wire something wrong? did i put a brake light wire on a turn signal wir e or vice versa, this is not normal...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will it act up like this because i dont have any front parking lamps hooked up??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts