Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am putting together my car after if was completly apart for 2 years, engines in, I wanted to start it, so I wired up everything, except, air, lights and radio. But I can't get the ignition to work, when I turn the key the dash lights come on but the key will not turn the starter. Before you tell me it is the neutral switch, I've checked and double checked it, it seems alright. Here is the mystery, if I turn on the windsheild wiper it will not turn off, no matter how many times I flip the switch it just keeps going. If I turn the key to off it stops but starts back up when I turn the key on, the only way I can get it to stop is to unplug the wiper motor and turn the key off. What the HE** did I do wrong. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The wiper motor drives up with one set of external connections...and off with another set. Sounds to me as if one of the connections between the panel switch and the motor is bad or the panel switch itself is bad.

The starter is a separate wire from ignition switch terminal "S" to the "S" terminal of your starter solenoid under the hood. This wire could be broken or not connected. Test the solenoid by momentarily connecting the battery side of the starter solenoid to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid. If this cranks your engine, then you know the wire between the ignition switch "S" terminal and the starter solenoid "S" terminal is bad. If it doesn't crank then you know the solenoid or starter is bad. Note: the solenoid will click solidly when energized, if it does click loudly and you get no crank, then check your cable connections to the starter, check your battery ground connection to the engine block.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Sounds like 2 unrelated problems.
On the wiper motor, you probably have a bad motor. When the wiper switch is turned off, power on the "main" power wire to the motor is turned off, and instead power is switched over to another wire. This wire allows the motor to run until it gets to it's "parked" position via a relay inside of the motor. Once the wipers go to their "parked" position, the contacts of the relay stop the motor. If the relay is bad, it never kills the power and they keep right on wiping. In other words ... you most likely need to replace the motor. I have the same problem in my son's '65. I'm getting ready to buy a new motor, but in the mean time, I temporarily put a switch in-line on the "park" wire, so he can at least turn them off manually when they get to the parked position.

On the red/green wire to the selenoid ... you should have 12v with the key in the 'start' postion, and 0 volts at all other times. If you don't have the 12v at start, you'll have to start tracing it back, through the NS switch to the ignition switch to see where your break is. You can eliminate the NS from the equation by by-passing it by the Master Cylinder, or where the harness plugs in under the dash ... just make sure it's in Park before starting it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts