Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signals have stopped working completely.

The emergency flashers work, along with everything else, wipers, radio etc.

Simple problem, maybe not so simple to troubleshoot!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am not sure if the emergency flashers go through the same circuit as the regular turn signals, but there's a turn signal relay that actually does the flashing part for the signals, if that is bad, then you wont get turn signals. I think autozone has them for three bucks. I would check that. I dont know if there is a dedicated fuse off hand that is on that turn signal circiut, but maybe take a look and see if any are blown. In my 66 coupe, that turn signal relay was dangleing down under the dash by my left foot, I just tucked it back up there when I replaced mine, I couldent really see where it was originally. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure its not the fuses, but where is the switch itself located? Could be a wire loose or something?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
The flasher should be right behind the ash try. Since you have a 68 it has a Turn Signal flasher, and an Emergancy Flasher. You need to find the turn signal one which Is the one behind the ash tray or around it. It is a circular usually grey thing. It plugs into a connector and I believe it has 2 wires. Cost about 2-3 bucks at autozone.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
The E-flasher and the regular flasher work in parallel: either can drive the circuitry. Since the E-flasher works, that suggests that most of your wiring is fine. I suggest removing the regular flasher (usually located to the left and above the brake pedal with the e-flasher unit. If your turn signals now work, replace the flasher.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The switch is actually located inside of your steering column, its called the turn signal cam switch or assembly. There may be a problem there with loose of broken wires, but I would check that last. The flasher relay is a round thing maybe 1 inch in diameter, that plugs into a two or three prong wire harness, its the thing you actually hear clicking when your signals are on. like I said, I found mine dangleing down by my left foot under the dash, you'll probably have to get a flashlight and poke around under there to find yours. Let us know how it works out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts