Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions on fixing a wiring short. My daughter was driving the car so Im not sure exactly what led up to the problem. Evidently smoke was coming from the steering column. She had someone disconnect the battery before I got there.

I reconnected the cable and the interior lights came on.. I turned the ignition switch and everything went out again. Disconnecting and reconnecting the pos battery cable got the interior lights on again. I tried the headlights and everything died again. One more time with the battery cable and this time she started and the headlights worked. Didnt have instrument lights, tail lights nor horn.

After studying a bit I see there is a CB in the light switch that is blown. In looking for the cause I followed the smoke and pulled the steering wheel to access the turn signal switch. In doing so I noticed the yellow wire had gotten very hot at the connector at the base of the steering column. Once the steering wheel was off, I found the other end of the yellow wire had gotten hot as well. The wire connects to a pin that contacts the steering wheel. It has melted to the plastic body of the turn signal switch and no longer functions. From the drawings, this appears to be part of the horn wiring.

I see that I need a new turn signal switch and headlight switch. Im afraid to replace them without knowing what caused the problem. Does anybody have any recommendations as to how I should proceed.

Thanks

Bogie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,203 Posts
Johnpro is right again. When you replace the turn signal switch, put some black electrical tape on the back side of it. There are rivet heads for the switch that at times can contact the base of the steering column, which is chassis ground. The tape will help the system from shorting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I was worried that the problem could be somewhere else and these 2 points are just where it burned the insulation off. At 90 a pop for the switch assy I surely dont want to melt another one :)
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top