Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't clear in my previous post:
Something is draining my battery.
I have tracked the problem down to the RH tail-light.
Putting an ammeter in line with the battery indicates that if I pull the orange wire with blue stripe,
FROM THE TAIL-LIGHT the drain ceases.
With this wire disconnected, I do not have a RH turn signal or brake light.
I have replaced the tail-light housing and the bulb but still have the problem.
I am stumped. Where do I go from here?
What should I check next?
I also do not see a drain if I remove the bulb from the socket.

Dangerous Dave
Red 64 & 1/2 Coupe

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Try looking in the area of the turn signal switch. Power for the brake lights goes through this switch, stuck contacts maybe¿

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Dave,

something upstream of the taillight is shorted out, allowing voltage to get out there. With the lights off, ignition off no power is at the taillight housing. Your going to have to start looking forward of the taillight housing. The brake/turn signal wiring there goes back to the steering coulmn and through the brake light switch. Tail light circuit goes back to the light switch. Start poking around there. I woud hook up the ammeter in the circuit that is draining the battery and start disconnecting things. Brake light switch, steering column connections, light switch connections, until the problem is further isolated.
Once you locate the problem, further diagnosis (read - physical inspection of the switch, etc) will be necessary.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45514468.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts