Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant get my 66 to turn over using the key. I can jump it through the solenoid and it will turn over. I've bypassed the nuetral safety switch, still nothing. The battery is good. The voltage regulator and solenoid are both new. Any ideas??? Could it be the ignition switch? Where are the fusible links? Any inline fuses in the 66? I'm completely stumped. Thanks Again

·
Registered
654 Posts
Maybe way off on this, but check you have a good ground from solenoid to engine and make sure cable to the starter is a solid, clean contact. Good luck, Mark

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If the N/S switch is correctly bypassed I would take a test light or Volt meter and see if there is power to the "S" side of the solenoid when the key is turned to start. If there is then the solenoid is bad. If not it's either a bad connection or the ignition switch is bad. The wire you need to trace is red with a blue stripe. Here is a link to the wiring diagram. :highfive: Link

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
Bingo. Good call. I had a similar problem with my 66. The wire harness went bad from the NS connection on the firewall to the solenoid went bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts