Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was test driving a 65 GT Saturday and noted that the amp (volt?) guage went nuts when I turned on the headlights but stayed steady when they were off. What could this mean?

Thanks!!!!

Pam

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pamcorral on 03/12/01 07:34 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
Do the headlights work?
If not, the wiring socket that the headlight plugs into is probably corroded to the point of no return. This will cause the wires to crumble right off the connector and get intermittent shorts on the metal headlight housing. If the headlights DO work, then the problem could be anywhere in the headlight wiring; old insulation dries and falls right off - leaving exposed wiring to short on any exposed metal (all of which is tied to ground).

Electrical problems can be tough to trace, even for the experienced. If its not immediately obvious what the problem is by removing the headlights, you'll probably save time by buying new connectors from your local parts store (only a couple bucks each) and running new wires thru the firewall and to the headlight switch.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the headlights do work. The added in fog lamps do not.

Thanks! Pam

[color:red]Just another wrench-turner</font color=red>

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It might also be an indication that the alternator has a problem. One of the old tests to check alternator function was to run the car on just the alternator (battery disconnected) and turn on the lights. If the engine died, the alternator was weak. The gauge may be signalling a similar kind of problem if it only does that when the headlights are on.

My Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Mach1Pilot on 03/12/01 06:14 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
there is a circuit breaker in headllight switch which will open and close if overloaded or worn out. your extra lights could cause this also if you were trying them out. you said the ammeter went nuts - what exactly did it do. peg and stay there, go high then back to low in a cyclic fashion?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts