Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as I was doing my whole chassis and engine harness, I uglied it up in a lot of places by soldering 3 wires together, and then taping them up. I have a couple more wires to do like that (MAF, and Check engine line) and I totally forgot there were splice connectors. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...nnector_-_Blue.html?tl=g4c155s321&id=mPMVLkCk

Look kind of like that I think.. You'd insert the extra wire, and snap it shut over the existing wire. Would sure make things easier and cleaner, but do they work?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I work professionally as a technician at a Ford dealership and repair vehicles on a daily basis that have had alarms and other add-on devices installed using those. Many of them are towed as no-starts with other unusual concerns also.
Do I need to say any more? They are worthless and nothing but a headache down the road waiting to happen!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
+1 on above! I think your best bet is barrel connectors with a crimping tool. Soldering is good but hears the catch, the flux in the solder if not cleaned after the solder is cool can cause corrosion. So clean it good with alcohol before you call it a day.

I would also suggest heat shrink instead of tape, it stays put once it's shrunk and prevents the wires at your solder connection from wiggling. From my experience if solder wicks or finds it's way underneath the wire insulation and is then exposed to movement the wires stand a good chance of breaking.

·
7,166 Posts
You need to invest in a few dollars worth of shrink tubing.

Remove about half an inch of wiring on each end to be connected. Drop an inch or more of shrink tubing of the proper diameter onto one side or the other Twist the bare ends together in line with the wire. Solder. Let cool. Slide the shrink tubing over the soldered connection. Shrink using a lighter or heat gun.

Phil

·
Banned
647 Posts
Yeah, what Robert and Phil said but to add the one thing you do not hear about those connectors you have a picture of is that they cut the original wire in half in most cases. I do not ever use them for any connection.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Yes to all the above. If you solder, use heat shrink tubing on before you connect the wires together. After soldering, slide the heat shrink over the connection spot and heat up with a torch or match or whatever.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I should have specified.. USUALLY I solder, and shrink tube (Never cleaned the soldered joint though!!! Ayeee!). There are a couple ugly blobs under there though. Most notable the 3 into one wire.. or 2 into 1 wire.. I just couldn't find a good butt connector for them, so I just kind of twisted them into a blob and soldered.. I can only think of one good example on my car though..

On the butt joint theory.. I don't have a fancy crimping tool. All I've been using is a $6 crimping tool, which just bends it's into a kind of "D" (You know what I mean probably).. Except on some insulated ones it's almost just like pliers that don't close well (Kind of squishes it into an oval)..

So ixnay on those connectors eh? I can only think of a few places I need them as my earlier EFI harness didn't come with some provisions, but I guess I'll find another way. Now I'm worried about corroded solder joints. Nothing I can do about it now though, there are hundreds of them all shrink wrapped away.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Everywhere I used a connector...whether butt, spade, clip, etc.. I would remove the plastic insulation from the connector, then, I'd peel back the wire insulation, dip in flux, crimp on the connector, then wick in solder.

Then shrink wrap.

hmmmm....overkill?

http://midnightdsigns.com/Mustang/Wiring/fusebox.jpg

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats how I started doing mine.. so the first couple days connectors are like that.. Eventually they turned into just crimped connectors. :D

·
Banned
647 Posts
Crimped and taped or crimped and dipped or crimped and shrunk have been the methods I use for crimp connectors. I have not soldered in over 20 years and I have an electrical degree. Take it back, when I was in Iraq I soldered a lamp connection back into the circuit board because I could not replace the lamp. But that was desperation.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Some may call your approach overkill, some piece of mind. Sounds like to me you'll never have to worry about your wire connections. Basically what you've done is re-created enviromental splices used in aircraft electrial wire repair. Checked your site out, great looking car and website you have there. Nicely Done!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
James,
That's my kind of overkill! :D My dad has been an electronics tech since 1965 and the 'no connection done too well' mantra is infectious. Crimp connectors give me a nervous twitch. :lol:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The thing I didn't like about my overkill soldering is sometimes it wicked up the wire.. How bad is that? Also, james, did you clean your solder like specified above? I think you guys just have me paranoid now.. Everything seems to be working as it should.. :D

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My boss has threatened to fire mechanics for using those connectors. They are junk!

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts