Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange to say the least! When starting '73 coupe, no action at starter. Work headlight on/off switch few times, car would start. Now, nothing. Lights won't even come on. Good battery. Jump solenoid, plenty of starter action, but won't start. Any suggestions f/ you more experienced restorers? My son and I are trying to restore / use this jewel. Also, does anyone have any leads on "avocado green" (yes, this was original color designation) interior components? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Are your 3 battery cables ( battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter, battery to block) and battery terminals good and clean?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Bare solenoid post "S" enough to put test light probe or multimeter probe on the post. Test for 12 volts with key twisted to "START" position. Solenoid should click solidly. Does it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
If jumping the solenoid causes the starter to crank, but the car doesn't start, then your ignition switch may not be in the run position. One of the small terminals on the starter solenoid should go hot when attempting to crank the engine with the ignition switch. Don't recall right now which one, but I would start there since you mentioned the starter not working from the ignition switch, but working when bypassing the solenoid. No headlights is a fly in the ointment though. Take SAC69's advice first.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
suspect you are not getting +12 to fuze block (main power feed from battery to just about everything - using '68 schematic and assume yours is similar. do not have your schematic or could give you specific checks. your description indicates something flakey llike loose wire with headllight/starting ckt anomalies. if you do not get 12 V at "S" term on solenoid it would indicate stating ckt prob like wiring, neutral safety switch, ign key but if headlights do not work it gets more complicated . you can apply 12 V from Battery + term to "S" term on solenoid to bypass starting ckt - this shoul pull up solenoid and run starter motor -MAKE SURE you are in neutrel MAN tran or park/neutral for auto tran. PM me for more advice - only have '68 Shop Manual with schematics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts