Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying for a week now to get my swapped engine to start. When I turn the key on, the positive post on t hebattery gets very hot, and the starter will not even begin to turn over. All I hear is an initial hollow clunking sound from near the starter relay, then nothing but a hot battery post. I have had the starter and alternator tested and they passed with flying colors. I have rechecked the wiring from the alternator to the regulator, installed a new starter relay, and have a fully charged battery. Yet I still get no cranking at all. What else can I do?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
i got stuff like this when i melted my starter cable to the exhaust causing a 0 gauge cable worth of shorting... took a day to diagnose, and i felt like an idiot

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
myk best guess is you have hard short in wiring. try just turning ign key in run and jumper around solenoid by using jumper caable from bat + post to starter or to post on solenoid that goes to starter. confirm first that post does not get hot before jumpering. also do not leave ign key on run too long or points/coil will heat up and without solenoid starting will be done on 6 to 9 Vs since 12Vs from solenoid in start won't be there. just check for unusual heating. PM me results and i will get back to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts