Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While paging through my new NPD book(which has one of the coolest covers Ive ever seen) I saw ads for both dual points and electronic ignition. Is one neccissarily better than the other? Anyone know the advantages/disadvantages to each? My buddy has the electronic and swears by it to be the best, but I wanted to get y'alls input. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Go Electronic...More reliable, better more consistant spark...

I've now had single points, Mallory dual points and pertronix...Pertronix is of the three the best....Helped idle and MPG and all around perfornance...

Dual points were cool though...Back when I worked on cars weekly...Now no maintenance is the thing...

Mel

G

·
0 Posts
Back when dual points replaced single points, they were the coolest thing since sliced bread. However, thechnology moves on, so the Pertronix system is obviously better.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
def go with electronic if you have the chance to. I went with an MSD 6A box type ignition, and it made a very noticeable improvement in how the car ran. it also allowed me to open my spark plug gaps to .055. i noticed much better fuel economy as well. when i was running the stock points system the car would really fizzle out around 4500 and i would never run it past that but now the car can pretty easily sing to 5500 and more, but i just wont push it past that bc there is no point its not making any power past that .

ive also had some experience with pertronix as i have installed one of their units in my gf's 66, it also made a very nice improvement in how well her car idles and runs. im thinking about purchasing one to install into my car along with my box, so i can completly eliminate my points all together,even though i am using mallory performance points that i found at the parts store.

i think switching to an electronic ignition is one of the best things you can do for your classic stang

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Mid 70's Duraspark 302 distributor + MSD 6x ignition box = perfect combo.

Nice part is that the dist. is available at your local parts store for @ $50

No points, no hassles, just make sure your cap/rotor and plug wires are in good condition....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts