Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 Mustang with a 200 six cylinder. I have a slight driveability problem with it I can't seem to remedy. It has a small hesitation or almost miss at mild excelleration. It idles a little bit rough sometimes too. I have replaced all the vacuum lines and checked for the obvious problems. I recently replaced the carburator with a rebuilt from a flea market, but have since bought a new one I will be trying here soon. I also replaced the distibutor recently with a new one because the problem really seems like ignition to me. I was thinking about trying an electronic ignition conversion to see if it would help. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of problem and been able to fix it with the electronic ignition? I guess it really couldn't hurt to at least try it at this point. Maybe I'll get lucky and the new carb will fix it, but I really don't feel the problem is in carburation. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Cruising weather is almost here, and I can't have my Stang running bad!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
This type of problem is the worst. You can spend a lot of time and money trying
to find out what it is. Electronic ignition is most likely not going to fix it. It may
help out in the long run, and give you a better running 6. The carb's on these
motors are a pain in the butt. If the new carb. doesn't fix the problem it could
be in the advance of the dist. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
On my 66 6 cyl, I had the same problem you are talking about, I had replaced the coil with a repro yellow top coil, someone on this forum had talked about the coils polarity being reversed and causing this problem. Took it to autozone, found out mine was also reversed. Replaced (non yellow top) cured problem. Autozone or some of the other shops should probably check it for you no charge. Just a thought.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was going to post message on this when I logged on. On a previous post I had this very problem, My 65 289 would idle and accelerate good but at cruising speed it would miss and stutter. I found if I removed the vacuum line to the carb it would run OK. i tried checking the gap on the points and the dist. springs but all seemed good. Last week I got a good deal on a Pertronix kit for 49.95 and a Pertronix coil for 27.95 so I bought and installed them. i noticed the improvement immediately. On the test drive I remembered the the vacuum line and pulled over and connected it to the carb and it ran GREAT! I did not expect it but what the @#$# I am not going to even try to analyze this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts