Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Call Autometer and give them the p/n on your speedometer and they'll tell you which sender you need.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I purchased an aftermarket replacement VSS from a local parts store, cheap. I had the speedo cable out of the car and took it with me, using the Buyers Guide I found a sensor that looked just like the end of my cable. When I opened the box, I found it did match the end of my cable.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
An 89 Mustang sender will drive the electronic speedometer. It has both a wired connector and provisions for a cable speedometer. Another thread from a a few weeks ago mentioned that the later model Mustangs have the same sender without the cable provision, but I'm not sure of the year they switched to wired only. I got mine at autozone for $15-$16 and it works great...

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
You need AutoMeter's 5292 sender for Ford application.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Installation issues electronic speed sensor into C4

I'm converting to autometer electronic gauges in my '65. Replacing old sweep cluster with 5 gauge package. Installation has gone reasonably smooth, but time consuming. Swapping the speed sensor has given me the most difficulty. I'm using a Duralast SU1022 from Autozone. $15 as opposed to AM's pricey model. It's supposed to be correct for the '89, which I was led to understand in earlier posts would work. Also picked up this pigtail from Blue Oval 1979-2004 Mustang Speed Sensor Connector at Tranny - Home for your Ford Mustang.

Removal of the speedo cable was not easy, it was in the tranny very tight. Some aggressive tapping finally worked it loose. So it was no surprise that the new sender was extremely tight as well. I was able to finally get it tapped home with screw driver and hammer. As luck would have it the bracket did not quite line up with the srew hole. And forget about turning it in the hole. It's that tight. I tried and actually knocked the bracket off.

Should the sender be THAT tight? It's effectively a press fit now. The cable was pretty tight too, but it finally came out. I know any effort to remove the new one will destroy it. Also should I worry about it not being screwed in? I mean it is really, really wedged into the tranny hole. (Stop laughing.....)

It was getting dark so could not test the install. Will report on that tomorrow, but I'm really concerned about the install difficulties. I've not seen reports of the senders being this tight.

One last thing, I assume the wire pigtail can be hooked up with either wire as ground. It has two WHITE wires. Usually the same colored wiring means that connections can go either way. I rolled the dice, so hope that is not an issue too.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Testing went well as installed. No leaks and the sending unit remains firmly seated. Speedo calibration also went well. I either guessed right with the ground vs. power wire on the pigtail or it didn't matter (what I suspect). I love the electronic speedo over the old mechanical sweep...sweep....sweep....sweep....that's me bouncing with the needle. LOL

I'll watch the sending unit over time to see if any problems develop. I think it's permanent until I can someday swing an AOD.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
FWIW, '94 was the first year of non cable driven speedO's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts