Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a SSBC front disc brake kit with a dual master /power booster set up. I would like to remove the booster was wondering if the master with this kit would work on it's own or if I needed to get a different one? I know I would need new lines.
Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just purchased the SSBC non power kit that I should have in a few days. In my research prior to my purchase I know that you'd have to change out the push rod to an adjustable one in order to convert to manual. That would bypass having to change out the pedal assembly to the manual version. Now, IIRC, I read a few posts from people that didn't like the adjustable rods. I suggest you do some more research in addition to what the experts will chime in with here soon.

Best of luck!

Oscar

·
Registered
247 Posts
...That would bypass having to change out the pedal assembly to the manual version.
I should've said "I believe that would bypass..." as I'm not totally sure about that one. My memory suffers from search overload sometimes and can't remember everything. :)

Oscar

·
Registered
942 Posts
I installed a SSBC front disc brake kit with a dual master /power booster set up. I would like to remove the booster was wondering if the master with this kit would work on it's own or if I needed to get a different one? I know I would need new lines.
Wht do you want to remove the booster? too much brake?

If you do want to remove it all, then just get a 1974 Maverick disc/drum master cylinder for non-power brakes, and sell off the booster & its m/c......

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
No you won't be able to use the master than is used with the 65 66 Mustang Booster/master combination.

Reason, is the piston where the push rod inserts. The SSBC master has a very shallow hole, not near deep enough to accept, or retain a push rod.

So the 74 Maverick booster has a "Clip in" push rod with correct length, bolts on firewall. Refashion your lines, cruise.

Don't worry about the pedal, all are same in 65 66, it is 67-70 where all the confusion is with the pedals.

Dan @ Chockostang

1 - 5 of 5 Posts