Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have managed to get the MUSTANG letter off the trunk of my 67 Fastback without breaking any pins. I am curious if there are any tricks to remove the nut sleeve retainers?

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Can you partially thread a small screw into the sleeve and use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull them out?

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
No, the screw would expand them, locking them tighter to the sheetmetal, then tear the hole coming out.

I have managed to get the MUSTANG letter off the trunk of my 67 Fastback without breaking any pins. I am curious if there are any tricks to remove the nut sleeve retainers?
Why are you removing the letters? Do you really need to remove the nuts?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!
I used a nail to remove the barrel nuts. Find a nail with a head that will fit through the nut, use a locking plier to hold the nail, insert the head through and use the nail head like a bushing puller. I filed under head of the nail with a small file to help grab better.

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
With no access to the back, you'd have to make a tool. Tiny brad nail (picture hanging) and a small dent puller.
"hook" the back of the retainer with the nail head and gently pop it out.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Makes it easier when you are painting.
He didn't say anything about painting. Or any other reason. Painting is the only reason I'd remove these.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I am stripping down to eventually paint, which is why I am trying to remove them...it’s only 50/50 whether I can even use the trunk lid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts