Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if there is a procedure to follow to adjust the rear emergency brakes. They are non existant at this time. I have plenty of wire under dash & the handle pulls out without any tension on the wire. I have no idea what to look for & I feel that they should work properly. Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If you look under the car just after the trans, you'll find the cable that comes from the dash and goes to a bracket that attaches to the cables going to the rr drums. There is an adjusting nut there that you can take up the slack.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I'd check to make sure you've actually got something left on the pads in the back first!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done that already. It has never been right from the beginning when I got the car last year.

·
1,217 Posts
Joe,

Are the rear brake shoes adjusted properly to start with? If the shoes do not contact the drums, the E brake won't be able to pull it far enough to lock them up.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Joe,

The e-brake is a rather basic system. I agree if you have adjusted the slack out of the cable your rear shoes must either be way of of adjustment-not making contact with the drum or down to the metal. You would have heard the latter while drivingso check the adjustment first. IMHO.

Pat

·
1,217 Posts
Joe,

The other thing you can do just to check the mechanics of the ebrake operating, is take off one drum, and measure the distance between the shoes...then pull on the ebrake just a little and see if the shoes move.

Don't yank the handle all the way out or you may have the shoes over expanding, but you can at least see that they are moving.

Then go ahead and check the adjustment of the rear shoes, and go from there.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
A good quick check to see if you just need to adjust is to pull down on the cable on each side to see if it has any resistance. Also, be sure the cable inside is on the pully. If it is just out of adustment, it is pretty easy to deal with. I just raise one wheel and tighten the adjustment nut until the raised wheel won't turn. then maybe a turn or two more so you can really tighten the e-brake. Also, remember you want it loose when the the e-brakes are released, so once you are happy with how tight it gets, look at how loose it gets when fully released. Also, once adjusted, none of the cables should droop have slack.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that there is plenty of shoe left so it sounds just like an adjustment.

I know that is not on the pully as there is a ton of slack there. I hope it is a simple as the adjustment. Hopefully I will look at it this week end.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've noticed a lot of good answers to your question. Another item to check (which you may have done already), is to make sure the actuating arms are securely attached to the shoes on each side. Yeah, this means pulling both drums.

If you've checked the rear wheel parts and everything seems good, one final recommendation PRIOR to doing any adjustments on the cable; pull your e-brake handle out one or two clicks BEFORE adjusting the cable. If you don't, you run the risk of tightening the cable to the point where the e-brake works, but you can't pull the handle out far enough to engage the detents to hold it. Good luck and let us all know how it turns out!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
JoeM said:
I know that there is plenty of shoe left so it sounds just like an adjustment.

I know that is not on the pully as there is a ton of slack there. I hope it is a simple as the adjustment. Hopefully I will look at it this week end.
While you have some slack to work with you might consider dabbing a little lithium grease on the pully and cable. It's a lot easier when it's loose. Yeah, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all who responded. It was just an adjustment. I found the 1/2 nut and had to move it quite a bit but now it holds the car while runnung & the wheel spins when not engaged.

Thanks Again,

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts