Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to figure out why the heck they aren't working. Turn signals work, brake lights work, horn works, but the hazards will not cooperate. I've pulled the turn signal switch back out (its a replacement) several times and reinstalled. I checked the connections at the bottom of the steering column. I've replaced the flasher unit behind the dash. Still no dice.

Any other suggestions? Could a short caused by my steering wheel actually have *invisibly* burned out something on the actual switch?

Thanks in advance for any help...I have enough gray hair! :)

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Yep- The turn flasher is mounted on the back of the instrument cluster, but the e flasher is mounted on the backside of the steering column bracket. If you didn't know it was there, you might never find it.

You can see the silver clip here:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, with the gauge cluster out I can see both of them ... even verified the wire colors. I haven't put the steering wheel back on (and dont want to) because I want to make sure the hazards will work. I've pulled the wheel dealing with the old original switch too many times...lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something of note... the replacement flasher I was sold at Advance Auto Parts was a LL552. I've checked Autozone and they show the 552 for both the hazard and the turn signal flashers. The two originals that are in the car are quite different. is it possible the LL552 flashers are incorrect replacements? Are stock turn signal/hazard flashers interchangable?

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Actually, I think you can use the same flasher for both. Many 67-up flashers had a plastic housing, with a nub for twisting them onto a small hole in the back of the instrument cluster, eliminating the need for a bracket.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,644 Posts
If the flasher plugs in, generally speaking it will work. The only thing I've seen is heavier duty ones will flash at different speeds. IE, the heavy duty flasher in my truck flashes the turn signals normally when a trailer is hooked up but noticeably faster with no trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts