Vintage Mustang Forums banner

EMERGENCY!!!

976 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  camachinist 
G
#1 ·
Before i tell you the problem, i'm going to tell you some specs. on my car. I am running on full DRUM BRAKES accompanied with a powered assist (booster). I was driving my car yesterday night, and my brakes suddenly gave out. My break pedal went from being close to the floor to suddenly being raised. When i reapplied my foot to the break, it was very tough breaking. Besides all this my car suddenly made an akward noise, a Sssssssss- my car was also running on a high idle (Carbureator- running very high). I suddenly checked my break fluid, but none had leaked? So all together my car's breaks went out, my car was making a Sssssss noise originating from the driver's side, Car was running on high idle and when put into reverse my car would shut off. Later on today i will be taking it to the shop to see what's wrong. Can anyone please tell me what's wrong, i have no exact idea. Please right comments, conclusions, or remedies. It would greatly be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
(It was pretty freightening having my car shake harder than usual>

G
#2 ·
it sounds like a vacuum leak to me, but i don't have a power assist booster, so i can't really tell you. i think that some power accessories back then ran on engine vacuum, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
College Station, TX<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jones on 04/16/01 03:22 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

#3 ·
Sounds like you could have blown a vacuum line to the booster.
Matter of fact I just about put this guys Cal special on it
I don't you would find a nicer Cal special anywhere. Including the States .

Any comments ??

Photos from 2001 Australian National Concourse
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=46604078&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by AussieMustang on 04/16/01 03:29 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

#5 ·
Something with your Vacuum booster is bad. Probably the diaphram. You may be able to get a replacment at the local parts store, but from what I remember, they cost a little (150.00?).
You can verify your vacuum booster is bad, by plugging the vacuum hose (about 1/2 inch in diameter) that runs from the rear of the intake manifold to the brake booster (large circular device behind the master cylinder). Plug the end that attaches to the booster and your car's idle should return to normal. If that is not the case, check the hose.

Good luck.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45488890&Sequence=0.jpg

#6 ·
Either the booster diaphragm or the hoses/fittings connecting it to the intake manifold have failed or come loose...

If the booster is determined to be the culprit, I'd suggest replacing both the booster and MC at the same time....it takes just a little leaking brake fluid from the MC down the road to cause the booster to fail....and you'll likely not know about it until it's too late...

Take a look here for an example of the product and price.

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.