Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone on here knows when production stopped for 1969? Even more specifically, in San Jose. I had heard that it was usually mid July 1969 when they switched production to the 1970 model year, but never heard of an exact date. My Mach 1 was built on July 12, 1969 in San Jose, so I wanted to see how close it was to being one of the last that rolled off the assembly line!

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
id say youre very close
70s started rolling out the end of August and figure a month to retool puts you about there

email Marti he may have an exact date

·
Registered
93 Posts
As I recall, several years ago someone in the Mustang magazine world compiled data from all 3 plants to document the first and last VIN's produced for each plant. Perhaps someone here has a clearer memory of where that data may be found.
While I don't have the particulars of the '69 model run, I do recall a late '67 out of San Jose that was built in early August, so the retooling effort there for '68 must have required less time.

·
Registered
33,843 Posts
The last unit number for '69 for Milpitas was 9R02Q193141. I don't know if Marti Auto would be willing to give up the production date for that one or if it's available on the web... I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok end of August gives me a better timeframe. @Woodchuck thanks for the VIN on that last one. My vin is just a few thousand off from that, so I'd imagine it's somewhat close. I'll shoot Marti an email and see if he can provide a date. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
Somebody once posted on this forum a list of the basically 2 week period that each of the 3 Mustang assembly plants was shut down for the model year changeover during the production of the cars we are concerned with. The 3 plants did not all shut down for the same 2 week period. So for example, maybe Dearborn closed the 1st and 2nd week of August, Metuchen closed the 2nd and 3rd week and San Jose closed the 3rd and 4th week. By the time San Jose shut down Dearborn was already up and running on the new model.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I did a little bit more digging and found a thread on the concours forum about the production shut down dates for each year and plant. They poster in the thread claims they came from Jim Smart's "In Search of Mustangs" article in Mustang Monthly a while back. The link to the thread: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5313.0

Looks like, according to the post, production for 1969 in San Jose stopped on July 25, 1969, with the last VIN being 9R02H193346. If anyone has this book and wanted to verify, that would be interesting.

·
Registered
33,843 Posts
So I did a little bit more digging and found a thread on the concours forum about the production shut down dates for each year and plant. They poster in the thread claims they came from Jim Smart's "In Search of Mustangs" article in Mustang Monthly a while back. The link to the thread: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5313.0

Looks like, according to the post, production for 1969 in San Jose stopped on July 25, 1969, with the last VIN being 9R02H193346. If anyone has this book and wanted to verify, that would be interesting.
So, maybe that unit number I found was for the last 428 car..... Hmmmn.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Go to ISOM. Cant be a 428 with that vin. it is 351w 2 barrel. I believe the july 25th is pretty close for Dearborn. unsure about San Jose. Typically, they would shut Dearborn down before others for the re-tool. Others would follow. Thing with 69 and 70 there were no major changes so might have done the re-tool close to same time. You are about 2 weeks out of end of production.

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
Go to ISOM. Cant be a 428 with that vin. it is 351w 2 barrel. I believe the july 25th is pretty close for Dearborn. unsure about San Jose. Typically, they would shut Dearborn down before others for the re-tool. Others would follow. Thing with 69 and 70 there were no major changes so might have done the re-tool close to same time. You are about 2 weeks out of end of production.
Sure it is. A "Q" code was the non ram air 428

·
Registered
93 Posts
Keep in mind that Mustangs VIN's were assigned when the cars were originally scheduled for build. However, they were assembled when all the parts needed were at the particular assembly plant. Some cars were built on schedule while many others were assembled earlier or later than scheduled. While possible, sequential VIN's rolling off the end of the assembly line in sequential order was not the absolute rule. At the beginning of each day a "rotation order" number was assigned to each buck being assembled that day and the rotation number was the identifier for finding a particular car on the line that day.

There is an article in the December, 2018 issue of Mustang Times describing Rick Schmidt's 1993 Fox body as being assembled ahead of time and stockpiled until the last day of Fox production a couple of months later when it was reinserted in the line for the symbolic "Last one off the line" event. The article states that the actual last Fox car built on that line was indeed a different car.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Sure it is. A "Q" code was the non ram air 428
Sure it aint. Vin in the post says 9R02H193346. 5th digit is a H 351w 2v Cobrajets are R's (air induction) and Q's (non air induction).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep in mind that Mustangs VIN's were assigned when the cars were originally scheduled for build. However, they were assembled when all the parts needed were at the particular assembly plant. Some cars were built on schedule while many others were assembled earlier or later than scheduled. While possible, sequential VIN's rolling off the end of the assembly line in sequential order was not the absolute rule. At the beginning of each day a "rotation order" number was assigned to each buck being assembled that day and the rotation number was the identifier for finding a particular car on the line that day.

There is an article in the December, 2018 issue of Mustang Times describing Rick Schmidt's 1993 Fox body as being assembled ahead of time and stockpiled until the last day of Fox production a couple of months later when it was reinserted in the line for the symbolic "Last one off the line" event. The article states that the actual last Fox car built on that line was indeed a different car.
This is a good point. The H code listed from ISOM could be the last sequential VIN, but maybe not the last one that rolled off the line. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
See post #4 Bart clearly used vin 9R02Q193141.
Did not see the post 4 so that was I was confused. My response was related bmcca's 9R02H193346 vin he quoted lol. As noted, vin means nothing as far as when it comes off the line. They were still putting together car after the main line closed. Marti can give you the answer on what was last and ect for a price. The vin can give you a general time car came off line but lots of things caused this to be an inaccurate way to figure out when came line. Engine, transmission, options and ect. could cause a car to drop behind one higher in sequential number. I think a lot of the bosses may have dropped behind but don't know for sure. Too bad they did not make bosses there as the boss site has a list of vins for the boss302. But you can browse the ISO site and get a general idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts