Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, im somewhat new to working on cars, so bear with me. ha i have a 1965 mustang with an 200 ci inline 6 that im currently restoring. The problem that im having is that it will crank up as long as i turn the key, but when i let go of the key the engine cuts off.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Austin

·
Registered
94 Posts
Some more specific would help. Like what tear engine carb dizzy trans things like that. If you dnt get any help here try fordsix.com. Well check them out anyway I did then started parting with money for things like a header a new carb and now possibly a t-5. I need help:loco:

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
ok here's some things to check
1. is it getting fuel ? take air cleaner off and look down carb while opening carb linkage
2. is it getting spark ? pull a spark plug wire and stick a screwdriver in there now position screw friver by a engine bracket or bare metal turn engine over you should see a sprak jump , or have a "friend" hold the spark plug boot while you crank it if he screams and does a dance you have spark .
lol
if you have both of these then we need to look into more complicated things

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Check for voltage to the coil with engine off and key to run position. Should have 12V to + side of coil. During start, voltage is applied to the "S" term of starter solenoid relay and feeds back to coil thru the "I" term. that voltage disappears when key is released. Then the coil gets its voltage thru the ballast wire with key in run position.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Check for voltage to the coil with engine off and key to run position. Should have 12V to + side of coil. During start, voltage is applied to the "S" term of starter solenoid relay and feeds back to coil thru the "I" term. that voltage disappears when key is released. Then the coil gets its voltage thru the ballast wire with key in run position.
+1....Sounds like you are losing power to the coil when the key is in the "run" position..

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
You say it stops cranking when you release the key. Is the engine running at that point?
Cranking is supposed to stop when the key is back at the run position. A small correction, in the crank position there should be 12V to the plus side of the coil. In run position the voltage is reduced by the ballast resister/wire to around 6V.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, it really helps! as soon as i get home from work im gonna check the coil and everything out. and i should have said it stops running when the key is released. it runs as long as i keep the key turned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts